Domestic noise

Antisocial Behaviour

Domestic noise nuisance is covered by the Antisocial Behaviour etc (Scotland) Act 2004 which gives us powers to deal with domestic noise above the permitted level for the time of the day.

To be defined as domestic, the noise must come from a residential property such as a house or a flat. This includes any land belonging to, or used exclusively by, the accommodation’s residents, such as a garden, shed or garage.  Examples of types of noise covered by the Act are: loud music, party, DIY, television, washing machine and musical Instruments.

The team work closely with the police and can investigate noise complaints coming from homes or gardens. They carry specialist equipment to check if the noise exceeds permitted levels. If they identify a problem, a warning will be given. If the warning is ignored they then have enforcement powers to issue an on the spot fine of £100. In extreme cases, noise making equipment can be seized and the matter referred to the Procurator Fiscal where the fine can be up to £1000.

If you have to leave your dog alone in the house, this guidance gives tips to help prevent your dog barking and causing nuisance to neighbours.

Commercial noise and nuisance

We also investigate noise, smell and smoke complaints from commercial and industrial premises. Times when the problem occurs should be noted to help with any investigation.


The team can help people affected by noise at all times. Please call 0845 277 7000.