Need a building warrant?
What is Building Warrant? Do I need one?
A Building Warrant is generally required when:
- Building a new home
- Extending your home
- Building or removing load bearing walls
- Altering roofs, external walls or other structural elements
- Converting a loft or garage into a room
- Demolishing a building
Documentation you will need:
- Plans and drawings in relation to the proposed work
- The appropriate application fee
- Certificates from an Approved Certifier of Design (if you are using one)
- Confirmation that you intend to use an Approved Certifier of Construction
The Scottish Government provide a comprehensive 56 page booklet about the building warrant process.
It is an offence to start work without a Building Warrant, where a Building Warrant is required.
Starting work could result in statutory enforcement action being taken and result in a fine of up to £5,000.