Consumer advice

We offer a consumer advice service to provide information on consumer related civil law. The service is available to consumers or businesses who are resident in the Stirling Council or Clackmannanshire Council areas.

For guidance on your rights, choose from this list of Consumer Advice topics.

Our officers can advise you about your legal rights and suggest how best to resolve your complaint.

We can:

  • give impartial advice on consumer law and your rights;
  • suggest appropriate courses of action and advice on how to pursue your rights;
  • advise on court procedure;
  • investigate, if the criminal laws we enforce may have been contravened.

We can't:

  • obtain a refund for you, or take court action for you;
  • recommend particular businesses or tell you which particular businesses to avoid;
  • investigate complaints about food hygiene or food standards.  This is dealt with by Environmental Health.

If either you or the supplier are based in the Stirling or Clackmannanshire areas:

If Neither you nor the supplier are based in the Stirling or Clackmannanshire areas:

  • Find your local Trading Standards service at the Trading Standards Institute website, or
  • Visit DirectGov for a range of consumer advice topics, or
  • Speak to a Citizens Advice Consumer Service advisor on 03454 040506.


For Europe-wide consumer advice, visit the UK European Consumer Centre