Advocacy for social work clients

Professional independent advocacy services are delivered by Forth Valley Advocacy under contract with the Clackmannanshire, Falkirk and Stirling Councils and NHS Forth Valley.   Forth Valley Advocacy ensures that people who need independent advocacy will have access to professional services at no financial cost to themselves.

About Advocacy

People may use a range of health and social care services provided by the NHS and Local Authorities.  At times they may require a professional advocate to deal with a specific issue or concern.  Professional Independent Advocacy offers one-to-one support and may include:

  • advice on setting up a support package through Self Directed Support
  • communicating with people referred for a service and their family, friends and carers to establish the nature of the need which the advocacy services will address
  • establishing with the Service User what outcomes they are seeking and their options for action
  • supporting people or speaking for them at Mental Health Tribunals, appeal hearings, etc
  • negotiating on the Service User's behalf with service providers in seeking to address the issue of concern
  • supporting the Service User or speaking for them at formal service meetings

Accessing Advocacy

Forth Valley Advocacy leafletForth Valley Advocacy provide advocacy under the following legislation:

If you are over the age of 16 and are seeking independent advice in relation to your Social work or NHS issue, you may be eligible for independent advocacy.

Advocacy is available for all sorts of people including:

  • Older people
  • People with a Learning Disability
  • People with Autism
  • People with mental health issues

If you are uncertain whether you are eligible, please discuss with your Social Services or NHS contact.  Alternatively, you can self-refer by contacting Forth Valley Advocacy directly.

Forth Valley Advocacy do not provide support for citizenship advocacy, peer group advocacy, support for self/collective advocacy or befriending services.

Advocacy for Children or Young People

Children or young people under the age of 16 years may access this service if they are subject to action under the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003.

For further information about independent advocacy, please read the Scottish Government's Guide to independent advocacy

Contact Forth Valley Advocacy

For more information about professional independent advocacy please contact:

Forth Valley Advocacy

Forth Valley Advocacy
1 The Bungalows
Stirling Road
Tel: 01324 557070

Email Forth Valley Advocacy