Universal Credit

As part of the Government’s ongoing reform of the welfare system, working aged benefits may be changing for some new claimants.

Universal Credit is available in the Stirling Jobcentre.

Universal Credit combines six benefits in a single payment. You may be affected if you are claiming any of the following for the first time:

  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income based Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits

Universal Credit will be claimed online. The payment is made monthly in arrears and paid to the bank account of one designated member of your household. If you need to claim housing benefit, this will be paid directly to you instead of your landlord.

The initial roll out will only affect a small number of people with specific circumstances,and if you live in the following postcodes FK150, FK15 9, FK 19 8, FK20 8, FK21 8, which are shared with neighbouring Councils, you will be unable to claim Universal Credit until December this year.

Where can I claim?

You can claim at the Universal Credit website.

An online application form will take you through a series of questions to make sure you are able to claim. Do not worry if you are not eligible for Universal Credit at the moment – the form will re-direct you to the Job Centre

The form will take between 20 to 40 minutes to complete. There is no save function, so you should make sure you have all the information you need before you start your claim.  

What can I do if I want more information/help with Universal Credit

If you need help making a claim, you can get information on the website - or call the helpline,
Contact the helpline if:

  • you have any questions
  • your circumstances change and you’re already getting Universal Credit

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone:0800 328 5644
Welsh language (make a claim): 0800 012 1888
Welsh language (report changes): 0800 012 1888
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Personal budgeting advice 

We understand the challenges people can face switching to a monthly budget.  A dedicated money advice team is available to help you manage your Universal Credit payments.  The team can also help with debt advice. 

If you would like help managing your budget, please get in touch:

Call 01786 233528 or email us.


Find information on Turn 2 us or the Department for Work and Pensions benefit calculator about what you are entitled to.

The Money Advice Service can also provide you with more information about Universal Credit.