Bereavement - advice and support

When someone dies you may need various kinds of help - practical and emotional.  

Councils issue death certificates and tend graveyards.  

We can also help provide support for families, or put you in touch with other sources of help or advice.

Useful links

What to do?

What to do when somebody dies at home

  • Contact the family doctor
  • Contact the nearest relative of the deceased
  • Only contact the Police if the death was violent, accidental or if there are any unusual circumstances surrounding the death. If the police are called, do not touch or remove anything in the room

What to do when somebody dies in hospital

The Charge Nurse responsible will tell the nearest relative and give them advice about what to do

For more information on what to do when someone dies view the Direct.Gov Website