Same Sex Marriage
Same Sex Marriage in Scotland
The Scottish Government announced on Monday 13th October 2014 that the proposed date for commencing the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014 relating to same sex marriage; changing Civil Partnerships to marriage and the provisions on gender recognition is 16 December 2014. This will mean:
- Same sex couples are now able to give notice of intention to marry from 16 December 2014.
- After the required clear 28 day notice period has expired and subject to the usual checks (eg on divorces of any previous marriages) same sex ceremonies can take place.
- The first changes of civil partnerships registered in Scotland to marriages through the administrative route in Scotland have taken place since 16 December 2014.
Same sex couples can give notice of intention to enter a religious or belief civil partnership.
(Download the Form M10)
- From 16 December 2014, people in a marriage solemnised in Scotland will be able to apply to the Gender Recognition Panel and obtain a full Gender Recognition Certificate without the need for divorce.
How to convert a civil partnership to a marriage
If you do decide to convert your civil partnership to marriage, there are two ways you can do this:
- By ceremony - (Download Form M10) You can convert your civil partnership to marriage by marrying in the usual way, with a civil, religious or belief ceremony. You may decide that you prefer this option if you want to have a ceremony.
- By the administrative route: (Download Application Form) - Alternatively you can make an appointment with your local registrar, show up with photo ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, etc), and get a marriage certificate there and then without a ceremony. You may decide that you prefer this option if you feel your original civil partnership ceremony was the only ceremony you need!
In either case, legally your marriage will be treated as having started on the date you registered your civil partnership, and the marriage certificate you get will state that your marriage is treated as having started on that earlier date.
See also Guidance Notes:
Please contact any of our registration offices for further information, to book your marriage or to book an appointment to change your civil partnership to a marriage through the administrative route.