Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Council Tax benefit has been replaced by Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

The current Council Tax benefit scheme was abolished by the Government from April 2013, this was replaced with a Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Although the funding from the Central Government has been cut by 10% the Scottish Government and the councils are making up the difference.  Therefore, those currently in receipt of Council Tax Benefit will receive a reduction in their liability for Council Tax (provided that their circumstances remain the same) equivalent to the support that they would have received by way of Council Tax Benefit .

Customers claiming council tax reduction will still need to provide details of their income so they can be means tested to determine how much of a reduction they receive.  

Claimants who were in receipt of Council Tax benefit prioir to April 2013 were automatically transferred over to the new scheme.

Claims for the new Council Tax Reduction Scheme from 1 April 2013 should still be made to Stirling Council as normal

Council Tax Reduction Scheme helps people on a low income pay their Council Tax bill; it can help you pay all or part of your Council Tax.  Council Tax Reduction Scheme does not cover any water or waste water charges which you are due to pay along with your Council Tax.

Anyone who is liable to pay Council Tax can make a claim for Council Tax Reduction Scheme.  

You can make a claim if you are:

  • a pensioner
  • unemployed
  • working
  • disabled.

You can still claim even if you are not getting any other benefits, or if you have not made any National Insurance contributions.  

You will not be able to claim Council Tax Reduction Scheme if you (or your partner)

  • are not the householder or the person liable to pay the Council Tax at your address
  • have savings or capital of £16,000 or more
  • are excluded from receiving public funds, due to your status in the United Kingdom
  • have not yet moved into your house (however you may be able to apply for an exemption or a discount)
  • are a full time student in higher education  (however you may be able to apply for an exemption or a discount)

To work out your Council Tax Reduction Scheme entitlement, we will look at:

  • all of the money that you and your partner have coming in - including earnings, benefits, tax credits, pensions etc.
  • any savings that you and your partner may have
  • your circumstances - such as your age and the size of your family: the ages of your children: whether you or any of your family are disabled: if there is anyone else who lives with you who could help with the Council Tax.

Water and Waste Water Charge Reduction

If you get Council Tax Reduction Scheme and there are two or more adults in your household, you will also get a reduction of up to 25% on your water charges.  

Second Adult Rebate

Even if you don’t qualify for Council Tax Reduction Scheme based on your own income and circumstances, you may be able to claim a Second Adult rebate if other adults in your household are unemployed or on a low income.  

A Second Adult Rebate is not normally paid if the main taxpayers are a couple or if anyone in the household is paying rent to the taxpayer.

The amount of rebate you will get is normally:

25% of the bill if the second adult(s) is on income support/income-based JSA or Pension credit

15% of the bill if the second adult earns less than £180.00 a week or 7.5% of the bill if the second adult earns between £180.00 and £235.00 a week.  If they earn more than £235.00 a week no rebate is due.

Find out how much you're entitled to by using our online Benefits Calculator

Download a Benefit application form

For help, information or a form.

  • Phone 01786 443210 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday (3.30pm Wednesdays);
  • For local rate calls from Crianlarich, Inveruglas, Killin, Lochearnhead, Mugdock and Tyndrum, dial 0845 277 7000
  • For Minicom dial 01786 464599.  
  • Or email us

Full details about Council Tax Benefit are available from the Department of Work and Pensions.


Further information…