Data protection

About data protection

What kinds of information do councils hold?

Councils hold a variety of information about people living in their local area. For example, records safe kept by:  Library and Leisure Services, Schools, Council Tax, Housing Benefit, Social Services, Planning and other services.

What are the rules about dealing with this information?

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you certain rights, and also demands that the Council responds in certain ways.

The Act says that those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must make sure that data is:

  • fairly and lawfully processed
  • processed for limited purposes
  • adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • accurate
  • not kept for longer than is necessary
  • processed in line with your rights
  • secure
  • not transferred to other countries without adequate protection.

By law the council must keep to these rules.

This means that any personal information that you provide to Stirling Council will only be used to provide the service(s) that you requested. In some areas, we believe that we can provide a more efficient service by sharing your information within the council. In these cases, we will tell you that your information may be shared. It will not be disclosed outside the council without your prior consent unless required by law.

Data protection in Stirling

Stirling Council is required by law to notify annually the UK Information Commissioner its processing of personal information.  You can find Stirling Council's Notification on the UK Information Commissioner's website.

How can I find out what information Stirling Council holds about me?

The Data Protection Act allows you to find out what information about you is held on computer and on some paper records.  This is called "right of subject access".  

Make a request

The Data Protection Act 1998 protects personal information held on computers and in manual records. It gives rights to the data subject and imposes responsibilities both on individuals and on organisations holding personal data and also on the employees of those organisations who use personal information.

The Council is required to notify the Information Commissioner of the personal data it holds, for what purpose the data is held and to whom it is disclosed.

The Data Protection Act allows you to find out what information the Council holds about you on computer and some paper records. This is called the ‘right of subject access’.

You can see the Information the Council holds about you by making a "subject access request". You can download a Subject Access Request Form, contact any Council Office, phone 01786 404040 or email us.


Further information…