Things to do in the event of a flood

  • You should contact the emergency services if you feel your life or property may be at risk from flooding. In an emergency call 999.
  • Stirling Council can offer assistance during flooding and may be able to make sandbags available at Springkerse (Stirling) and Lagrannoch (Callander) depots, dependent on resources and the priorities set out in the Winter Maintenance Policy. No guarantee can be made that sandbags will be deployed and property owners should take steps to protect their properties. For assistance dial the contact centre on 01786 404040
  • Sewers are the responsibility of Scottish Water and they should be contacted on 01786 404040 or online if sewer water is flooding land or property.
  • SEPA's Floodline service provides up to date information on flood risk, available on 0845 988 1188.

Flood water

Flood water can be dangerous as depths and current is difficult to judge. Uneven ground and mud add to this hazard so keep children and pets away.


Switch off electricity at the fuse box for safety.

Gas Safety

If you smell gas call National Grid on 0800 111 999 immediately.

Flood water could have affected the safe operation of your gas appliances. The appliances may light and appear to work as normal but the flood water may have affected the flue or ventilation systems –which are essential for normal operation. Council tenants should call the Contact Centre to report this.

Sewerage and water supply 

Switch off the water supply

  • If you have been flooded by a private supply e.g. from your own property or a neighbour contact a plumber.
  • If you have been flooded by a burst water main from the road contact Scottish Water.

Flooded council tenants should call the contact centre on 01786 404040

News Updates

Listen to the local radio station Central FM 103.1 fm for up to date information.

Police coordinating efforts will use this method to keep everyone informed.

Useful websites for further information

  Helpful neighbours

  • Please be a good neighbour and try to help those around you paying particular attention to the elderly and neighbours with disabilities.
  • If you feel they need additional help suggest they call the contact centre where social work services will try to help.

Further information…