Enrolling your child at school

How do I enrol my child at primary school?

  • Online school enrolment forms can be completed and submitted electronically - go to the individual school of choice from the dropdown and fill in the online enrolment form. The school will receive a copy of the completed form but you will still need to attend during the enrolment dates to verify your residency within the catchment area. 
  • A paper copy of the enrolment form can be collected from the school and should be completed and taken along with you when enrolling your child at school.
  • You are required to provide both a birth certificate and proof of residency. If you cannot prove residency within a catchment area you should submit a placing request.
  • Children normally start Primary 1 in August if their 5th birthday falls before 1 March of the following year.
  • Enrolment for school takes place in January each year. Parents/carers should contact schools directly for enrolment dates.
  • All children should enrol at their catchment primary school in January of the year they are wishing to start school.
  • Even if your child attends a nursery class located within a primary school you must still register at the catchment primary school.

How do I enrol my child at secondary school?

  • If your child is transferring to secondary school you will receive a letter from your current primary which will outline the arrangements.
  • Unless you stay within the secondary school catchment area you will need to submit a placing request even if your child attends an associated primary school.

How do I enrol my child at a different school?

If you wish your child to attend a school other than the catchment school your are required to make a placing request.

Please note: you must still apply for a place in your catchment school (which may be changed later).

Placing request can only be granted where surplus space exists. Some schools are unable to admit placing requests due to high numbers of catchment pupils.

Our nearest map shows catchment areas based on postcode along with other local information.

See also: