In addition to the benefits or expressive arts education within Curriculum for Excellence, you may apply for your son or daughter to receive specialist instrumental tuition.
Tuition is limited to one instrument per pupil. In exceptional circumstances, SQA Music pupils may be able to learn a second instrument, but only if there are no other pupils requiring this space.
The advantages of the scheme include
- Professional and highly skilled teaching staff.
- Opportunities to play in an ensemble, band, orchestra or choir.
- Regular public performances.
- Opportunity to prepare for the grade examinations of the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music and similar external awarding bodies.
- An instrument hire scheme.
- A written report of your child's performance, progress and prospects with his or her instrument/voice.
A number of places and instruments are available each year on the Instrumental Music Tuition Scheme. Applications can be made in the summer term for the new session and must be returned by Monday 14 August 2017.
Additional instrumental tuition is available via the Youth Music Initiative Programme. If you would like further information about the programme please contact the Creative Learning Officer.
Various classes exist for all ages and stages. Contact the Tolbooth direct on 01786 274000.
What is expected of your child
- To attend lessons and practise regularly.
- To show a reasonable aptitude for the instrument.
- To join one or more council ensembles.
- To take part in school extra-curricular activities on their instrument/voice.
- To represent their school and the Council by performing in public.
For further information please contact us.