Primary school places
When can I enrol my child for school?
- Children normally start Primary 1 in August if their 5th birthday falls before 1 March of the following year.
- Enrolment for school takes place in January each year. Parents/carers should contact schools directly for enrolment dates.
Where do I enrol my child for school?
- All children should enrol at their catchment primary school in January of the year they are wishing to start school.
- Even if your child attends a nursery class located within a primary school you must still register at the catchment primary school.
What do I need to enrol my child for school?
- The enrolment form should be completed and taken along with you when enrolling your child at school.
- You are required to provide both a birth certificate and proof of residency. If you cannot prove residency within a catchment area you should submit a placing request.
How do I enrol my child at a different school?
If you wish your child to attend a school other than the catchment school your are required to make a placing request.
Please note: you must still apply for a place in your catchment school (which may be changed later).
Placing request can only be granted where surplus space exists. Some schools are unable to admit placing requests due to high numbers of catchment pupils.
Our nearest map shows catchment areas based on postcode along with other local information.