Leading to qualifications in the senior phase
With Curriculum for Excellence secondary schools are organised in the following ways...
- S1 - S3 will experience a broad general education and will build on the work done in primary schools covering Curriculum for Excellence Third and Fourth Levels. There will continue to be a strong focus on interactive teaching, literacy and numeracy, cross-curricular working and learning outside the classroom
- S4 – S6: Senior phase when qualifications will be taken.
National qualifications are in place in all schools:
- National 4 has replaced Standard Grade General and Intermediate 1. The National 4 course is assessed internally and is ungraded
- National 5 replaces Standard Grade Credit and Intermediate 2. The National 5 course has an external assessment that is graded
Revisions have been made to Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications. The new Higher was introduced in session 2014/2015 and the new Advanced Higher from 2015/2016 onwards.
Developing the young workforce...
The Youth Employment Strategy has been drafted to enable a clearer focus from 3-18 on skills for life, learning and work. This aims to ensure that all young people achieve their full potential and are fully equipped to achieve a positive sustained destination.
- Curriculum for excellence
- Literacy across learning
- Numeracy across learning
- Health and wellbeing across learning
- Progress in curriculum for excellence