Housing - overdue repairs - discretionary allowance

Right to Repair


The right to repair scheme applies to tenants of Stirling Council. From 30 September 2002, under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, Scottish Secure tenants and short Scottish secure tenants have the right to have small urgent repairs carried out by their landlord within a given timescale. This is called the right to repair scheme. More details of this is found here.

Right to Compensation


As a Scottish Secure Tenant with Stirling Council you have a secure tenancy and this gives you a number of rights.  One of these rights is the right to compensation.

This enables you as a secure tenant to claim for compensation for certain improvements that you have made to your home.  This can only be claimed however once your tenancy has ended.

The right to compensation applies to improvements such as :

  • Bath or shower
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Double glazing
  • Draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • Insulation of pipes and loft
  • Water tanks or showers
  • Kitchen sink
  • Rewiring
  • Space or water heating
  • Storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • Radiators or valves
  • Wash hand basins
  • Water closet (W.C)
  • Work surface for food preparation.

You must receive written permission before you make any improvements.  You will not be eligible for compensation if you purchase your home under the Right To Buy Scheme nor will you receive compensation if your home is repossessed by us.