Welfare rights - advice

Here are some of the benefits you may be able to claim:

Council tax benefits

You may be entitled to help with your council tax.  Call us on 0845 277 7000 for further information.

Disability entitlements

If you've got a disability and need someone to care for you or watch over you, you may be entitled to extra allowances.  

  • If you're 65 or over you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance.  
  • You can only make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance if you are claiming for a child under 16 years of age.  This is known as DLA for children.
  • If you're under 65, the Department for Work and Pensions may pay Personal Independence Payment if you need care, have problems walking or need someone to guide you out-of-doors.   PIP started to replace DLA for people aged 16 to 64 from 8 April 2013.
  • If you get Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance you may be entitled to a higher Pension Credit.
  • For independent advice on benefits, call Age UK on freephone 0800 169 6565.  This is a free welfare rights advice service from Age UK.

Housing benefits

You may be entitled to help with your rent.  Call us on 0845 277 7000 to ask about Housing Benefit.

Pension Credit

The Pension Service can top-up income such as a retirement pension to make sure you've enough to live on.  To find out about Pension Credit, call the Pension Credit Line 0800 99 1234.