Wheeled bins

Grey Bin

Grey bins are for household mixed (non-recyclable) waste only and should not be used for materials that can be recycled, put into the brown bin or composted at home.

Grey bins are collected on a fortnightly basis, on the alternate week to the brown bin.  

The contents from grey bins are landfilled.

  • plastic film 
  • crockery
  • badly soiled rags or clothing
  • animal faeces or pet litter
  • nappies

Collected fortnightly 

Grey bin

Approved standards of our service delivery for grey bins include:

  • All households to have one 240 litre grey wheeled bin for mixed (non-recyclable) waste.  These are collected on a fortnightly basis.   
  • Excess waste on top of or beside a bin won’t be collected. Presenting excess waste can lead to the issuing of a Fixed Penalty Notice under the Environmental Protection Act (1990) and/or prosecution.
  • Bin lids should be closed when presented for collection.  Overflowing bins are a health and safety hazard and will not be collected.
  • If a bin is put out on time and we miss it, we will aim to collect it within 5 working days.
  • We will collect your bin on the agreed collection day.  If the service is running late, we will publicise this on the Council website (always check mybins to see collection dates and disruptions) and collect your bin as quickly as possible.

Brown Bin


Reminder:  Cardboard is not accepted in the garden waste brown bin. Putting cardboard into your garden waste bin contaminates it and may lead to the rejection of the load and your bin not being emptied. Only households who do not currently receive a brown box and food caddy can continue to put cardboard into the brown garden waste bin as this will be hand sorted.   

Brown Bin

  • Wheeled brown bins are used for compostable garden waste only.
  • Households that have been provided with a new brown box for weekly cardboard. Collections will be suspended during the winter months (December through February).
  • Brown bin contents are composted at Lower Polmaise (made into PAS 100 certified Castle Compost).
  • Castle Compost can be collected free of charge by residents from any of our 3 Household Waste Recycling Centres  - (Tips)


Things to put in your Brown Bin 

Yes Please:Green Tick

  • Flowers & Plants
  • Garden Prunings
  • Garden Weeds
  • Grass Clippings
  • Hedge Trimmings
  • Leaves
  • Wood Shavings 
  • Christmas Trees - cut up and placed fully inside the bin with the lid closed

No Thanks:Cross

  • Building Wood
  • Fencing
  • Glass or Metal
  • Nappies
  • Carpets
  • Plant Pots
  • Plastics of any kind
  • Mixed Household Waste
  • Cardboard (after the brown box arrives)
  • Paint Cans - Please do not place tins containing liquid paint into grey bins, try to use the paint prior to recycling at your local HWRC. Alternatively you can buy a paint hardener, or add sawdust, sand or soil to the tin and leave the lid off until the paint becomes solid and dry (please pierce the dried paint before taking it to a Household Waste Recycling Centre to make sure it's fully hardened)
  • Please note: do not put any plastic items or bags in your brown bin this includes plastic plant pots, hoses, rope, plastic packaging or sacks of mixed waste, glass bottles, duvets, toilet seats or carpeting. 

    These items contaminate the materials sent for composting  If the collection crew finds any of the above contents in your brown bin, the bin will not be emptied until all contamination is removed.   

Brown bin contamination checks

Routine checks are carried out on presented brown bins for contamination. The checks are carried out to reduce contamination in the brown garden bins as contaminated bins can contaminate the entire load which can then cost Stirling Council up to £1000 to landfill. If contamination is found the contaminator can be fined £200 under the Environmental Protection Act.

Brown bin material is composted into Castle Compost which is available free of charge at the three HWRC.

Difficulty in putting bins out

Householders who find it difficult to put their wheelie bins or recycling boxes out for collection may request an assisted collection, also known as a pull out service.  If eligible, collection crews collect bins and boxes from the property and return them after emptying. 

Fly tipping

Using containers which do not belong to you to dispose of your waste, either domestic bins belonging to others or commercial bins, constitutes fly tipping - for more details please see our pages with information on Enforcement.

Kerbside recycling system

Presenting excess waste may lead to a fine.  If you fully utilise the kerbside recycling system it should be possible to work within the alternate weekly collection without creating extra bags.  Any extra bags produced can be taken to one of our Household Waste Recycling Centres, at Lower Polmaise, Balfron or Callander and disposed of free of charge.  Alternatively, you can arrange a Special Uplift through Stirling Council, please note there is a charge for this service.

Household Waste Recycling Centres

Additional materials can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centres, at Lower Polmaise, Balfron and Callander.  For a list of all the materials that are accepted at the  3 Household Waste Recycling Centre - Tips.