Pollution - water

Pollution of rivers, burns and lochs

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) deal with complaints regarding pollution of watercourses such as rivers, burns and lochs.

Stirling city and Eastern villages

SEPA's Stirling office can be contacted on 01786 452595.

North, South and West Stirling

Areas in Western Stirling such as Balfron, Fintry and Crianlarich are served by SEPA's Glasgow office on 0141 9456350.

Drinking water and mains water supplies

Scottish Water will deal with complaints regarding mains drinking water supplies, such as a strange taste or smell from the water. You can telephone them on 0845 601 8855.

If problems persist, we can be contacted for advice on telephone 0845 277 7000.

Private water supply analysis

Environmental Health is responsible for ensuring that the quality of water from private water supplies complies with the Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006. Private water supplies are generally found in the more rural or remote parts of the Stirling area which are not reached by a mains supply.

We take routine samples of drinking water from properties served by private supplies. These are analysed in a laboratory and if the water fails to meet standards, we can give advice on how to improve quality. If you wish to contact Environmental Health, please telephone 0845 277 7000.