Licences - public entertainment

Public entertainment licences

The 1982 Act allows for licensing places of public entertainment.  By resolution, Stirling Council has determined that a Public entertainment licence will be required for certain classes of functions at one of the following places:-



Hall (privately or publically owned) Disco
Dance halls Dance
Discotheques Concert
Proprietary clubs Rock Concert
Barns Roller disco
Marquees Videoteque
Bowling rinks Barn dance
Skating rinks Marquee dance
Billiard/snooker halls Sporting events in hall
Swimming pools Display
  Billiard/snooker game
  Fun fair

Exemptions from licensing

The following types of premises are specifically exempted from the provisions of the Act and will NOT therefore require a licence:-

  • athletic or sports grounds while being used as such;
  • a school or other educational establishment while being used as such;
  • churches or other premises belonging to a religious body while being used as such;
  •  theatres, cinemas and bingo halls;
  • premises having a permit under the lotteries and Amusements Act 1976;
  • public houses, hotels etc during the permitted hours;
  • places where amusements with prize machines are being used incidental to the main use of the premises.



If you wish to apply for a Public entertainment licence, or Temporary public entertainment licence, please complete the relevant application form and return to us:

Stirling Council - Licensing team

Municipal Buildings

Corn Exchange Road



Contact us

If you require any further information, please contact us on one of the following phone numbers: