Planning Services are based in Teith House on Kerse Road in Stirling.  

See also:

Planning Blog

Keep up to date with the latest news from our service and for interesting facts about the history of development of our area on our blog.

Help and Advice Service

Planning Development Management -  help and advice is available Monday to Friday 9am - 1pm, telephone: (01786) 233660.

Planning Process

The planning process is used to make decisions Rolled Planabout future
development and the use of land in our towns, cities and countryside. It decides where development should or should not happen.

Planning also balances competing demands to make sure that land is used and developed in the long-term public interest. It regulates the use of land by granting or refusing planning permission. These decisions are made with reference to the council's Development Plan for the area.

Planning Applications

You can find details of all applications submitted to the Council since 1999 via the Public Access service, should you have any questions on any aspect of planning, call (01786) 233660 and you will be redirected to the relevant officer.

The Planning etc (Scotland) Act 2006 brought about a radical change to the planning system in Scotland. Through this, the Scottish Government aims to deliver a modern planning system that is:

  • Efficient: up to date Development Plans are to be at the heart of an efficient system that provides certainty for users and local people;
  • Inclusive: local people will be more involved in the decisions that shape the development of their communities;
  • Fit For Purpose: with a clear sense of priorities and to address different issues in different ways, and
  • Sustainable: development should contribute to sustainable economic growth. Planning will deliver sustainable development, by ensuring development is in the right place and of the right quality.

There are three main parts to the planning process:

Development Plans

The development plan sets out the council's policies and proposals for the use of land in the area. It guides development to the most appropriate locations, whilst ensuring that the quality of the built and natural environment is protected. The plan also sets out how any new improved facilities, such as roads, schools and parks will be provided.

Under the new Planning Act, the Council is required to produce a Local Development Plan.

Development Management

This is the term used for describing whether to grant or refuse planning permission. Planning permission is needed for many forms of development, ranging from installing a satellite dish to building a new housing estate. The planning service deals with around 1000 applications a year. You can learn more about the process of making a planning application, viewing applications online and commenting on applications.


If something is built without planning permission, or if conditions attached to planning permission are not followed, the council can use enforcement powers to regularise the situation. Enforcement is important in ensuring that everyone stays within planning law and the conditions of their planning permission. Learn more about Enforcement.

Conservation, Archaeology and Tree Preservation

In association with the above, the planning service also has a number of specialists who are concerned with Conservation and Listed Buildings, Archaeology and Tree Preservation.

Planning Aid for ScotlandPAS Logo

Planning Helpline: 0300 323 7602.

Visit the Planning Aid Website.

Planning Aid for Scotland (PAS) is an independent organisation which offers a free (subject to eligibility) and impartial planning helpline. Advice is provided by volunteers all of whom are qualified planners. PAS also offers a series of planning information sheets online.

PAS works across Scotland to improve public engagement in planning and delivers a range of training and education programmes. 

Local Architects and Agents Meetings

The survey results and presentation from the recent workshop are included below.


Further Information

Further information on the planning system in Scotland can be obtained from the Scottish Government. An easy to read guide to the Scottish Planning System is available.

If you are considering employing a Chartered Architect or Chartered Architectural Technologist, you may find the following links useful.

  • The RIAS is the professional body for all Chartered Architects in Scotland,
  • The CIAT is the only qualifying body for Architecture Technology and represents over 700 Chartered Architectural Technologists and Architectural Technicians in Scotland.

If you require an architect with knowledge and experience in conservation work, the RIAS website provides information on conservation accredited architects - Visit the RIAS website.

A pre-requisite of grant funding for housing purposes is the engagement of a Conservation Accredited Architect. The Stirling Society of Architects, a chapter of The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland can offer advice if you are considering accessing public grant funding from Historic Scotland or any other conservation body.