What Sustainability is
It is simply about re-thinking how we organise our lives and work so that we don’t damage the environment which our communities depend on.
- Sustainability is based on a simple principle - everything that we need for our survival depends on our natural environment
- Sustainability creates and maintains the conditions where humans and nature can co-exist in harmony
- Sustainability is important in making sure that we have and will continue to have, the water, materials, and resources to protect our health and our environment
What Sustainability is not
"Sustainability doesn’t mean living without luxuries, but rather being aware of your resource consumption and reducing any unnecessary waste"
- You don't have to deprive yourself of the things you like in life, just be aware about what does and doesn't affect the environment
- The simple things in life make a difference like switching off lights when you are not using them, using only the water you need i.e. turn the tap off while brushing your teeth, not using disposable cups, etc.
- All of the little things you do make a difference to the environment and climate change
- Many of the solutions will come from local activities because it is the collective actions of numerous individuals, businesses and organisations that will make the difference
So is it all just about the environment?
The focus of sustainable development is far broader than just the environment. It's also about ensuring a strong, healthy society. This means meeting the needs of all people in existing and future communities. Living within our environmental limits is one of the central principles of sustainable development, one implication of not doing so is climate change.