Respite care for adult carers

Prior to receiving a short break (or respite), an assessment is required to ensure the support provided meets the needs of the person you care for.

A short break may be required for:

Crisis support

You are unable to support the person you care for.  In such situations, call us immediately:

  • Weekdays during office hours: 01786 233759
  • Outwith office hours, at weekends and public holidays: 01786 470500

Planned support

You may require a short break from your caring responsibilities.  This might be for just a few hours to attend to other commitments, or for longer periods such as attending a family holiday, an event or even just a little time away from your caring commitments.  Breaks may be required as a one-off arrangement or for several periods throughout the year.

There are several options to support the person you care for:

Support in the community

Options may include day care opportunities or befriending services.

Support at home

If the person you care for requires support at home in your absence, they may require care at home.  We would assess the needs of the person you care for prior to providing support.

Residential respite

If the person you care for has more comprehensive support needs, a residential or nursing home placement may be required.  This may be within a Stirling Council care home such as Allan lodge or Strathendrick, or an independently operated care home.

Contributing to your care

If you are over 65 years of age, you are entitled to free personal care.  Some additional services, such as shopping or prepared meals, or personal care for people under 65 years of age, are chargeable services, and you may be required to contribute to your care.

Carer assessment

Do you live with an/or care for an adult or child with a disability, illness or mental health need?  If you do, you may be entitled to a Carer's assessment - find out more about Carer's assessment