Paths and rights of access - enforcement

The Land Refom (Scotland) Act 2003

Part One of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (the Act) gives the right of responsible access to most land and inland water in Scotland. It clarifies, for both access takers and land managers, where you can go and what you can do. It also puts a duty on the Council to uphold access rights and gives us powers to do this. We work closely with land managers and access takers but it is important that everyone understands their rights and responsibilities under the Act.

The Scottish Outdoor Access Code

The Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) has been produced to define what is meant by responsible access . The Code gives advice and guidance to users and land managers on their respective responsibilities while carrying out activities in the outdoors. 

The Stirling Area Local Access Forum has produced 'Enjoy Stirling's Outdoors - Your Guide to Responsible Access' to help you on your way. 

Prohibition signs, obstructions, ploughing etc

The Act states that land managers must not prevent or deter access by erecting signs, notices or fences. Any disturbance to the surface of core paths or rights of way must also be reinstated.

Local authorities have the power to remove or make safe such notices and reinstate paths.
Our leaflet provides more information.

Exemption of land

Local authorities have the power to exempt land from access rights. Applications can be submitted to exempt land for up to five days for the purpose of holding agricultural shows etc for which entry is charged. Land may also be exempt for between six days and two years but this applications must be sent to Ministers for approval.
Our leaflet provides more information.

Exemption Forms

Application to exempt an area of land from access rights

Guidance notes for application form

Notice to owners or tenants

Contact us

If you are a landowner or land manager and would like further advice on this or anything relating to access, please contact the Access Officer or visit the Outdoor Access Scotland website.

If you would like to report an access problem, please contact the Access Officer.

We cover the Stirling Council area outside the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. For access matters within the National Park area, please contact the National Park directly.