Winter waste and recycling
Collection Days over the festive period
- Collection day, Friday 25th December will be moved to Sunday 27 December
- Collection day Friday 1 January will be moved to Sunday 3 January.
HWRC - Household Waste Recycyling Centres (Tip) Christmas and New Year opening times
- Lower Polmaise - December 24th & 3st - Close at 4pm (last entry 3:45pm)
Closed December 25th & 26th, January 1st & 2nd
- Balfron and Callander - Open Sunday December 27th & 3rd January, 10am-2pm
Closed December 24th-26th and 3rd-2nd January
Severe Weather and disruptions
Snow and icy condition -- especially on inclines -- can cause the waste and recycling vehicles to slide or get stuck. This makes collection dangerous for both our drivers and loaders, as well as the passing public. Drivers will assess the risk and may not access streets that are likely to pose a health & safety risk.
If your bin or box is missed, let us know as usual, and do also tell us if your whole street has been missed.
It is not advised to leave waste and recycling receptacles out overnight during windy weather. The following actions will help to prevent boxes and waste being blown around and therefore reduce clean-up costs.
- Ensure that your recycling boxes have their covers firmly attached.
- Make sure that the cover is tied to the box so that it can’t blow away.
- A brick or other heavy object placed on top of the box may help keep it in place.
- Where possible, present recycling boxes in a safe and secure location.
Coned Collection Points
- We may identify 'road end collection points' with a temporary cone & sign in areas we are unable to access for a prolonged period. Notice of those locations and where they are will appear here on the website and we will let Community Councils in affected areas know.
- If a collection point is identified and put in place close to your address, it may mean we cannot access your street due to conditions and we would ask that, where possible, you present your bin and boxes at this location. If you are also able to assist neighbours who are having difficulties with getting their bins to the point, this would help the service.
- Weekly brown box collection for cardboard will continue year round. If you haven't had a brown cardboard box yet, cardboard can be stored in the brown bin, or taken to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre at Lower Polmaise, Balfron or Callender.
- Household Waste Recycling Centres (Tip) are only closed on the Public Holidays of 25, 26 December and 1,2 January, but are open normal winter hours the rest of the time.
- Businesses that package large items are obliged to take back the packaging. When you buy a large item, ask at point of purchase for it to be taken away when delivered.
- Cardboard also composts very well at home, especially if mixed with garden waste
- Please put wrapping paper into your blue bag or inside your blue box with the box covered. No foil wrapping please, this contaminates paper.
Disposing of Christmas Trees
- Trees can be cut up and put in your brown garden waste bin to await collection in March.
- Bring them to your nearest Recycling Centre at Lower Polmaise, Balfron and Callander.