Domestic noise nuisance is covered by the Anti-social Behaviour (Scotland) Act 2004 giving us powers to deal with domestic noise above the permitted level for the time of the day.

To be defined as domestic, the noise must come from a residential property such as a house or a flat. This includes any land belonging to, or used exclusively by, the accommodation’s residents, such as a garden, shed or garage. 

Examples of types of noise covered by the Act are:

  • Loud music
  • Party
  • DIY
  • Loud Television
  • Washing machine
  • Musical Instruments

We work closely with the police and can investigate noise complaints coming from homes or gardens. They carry equipment to check if the noise exceeds permitted levels. If they identify a problem, a warning will be given. If the warning is ignored they then have enforcement powers to issue an on-the-spot fine of £100. In extreme cases, noise making equipment can be seized and the matter referred to the Procurator Fiscal where the fine can be up to £1000.

Noise Nuisance

Our 'Out of Hours Noise Team' operates between 20:00 and 22:00 Thursday-Saturday evenings.

Reporting domestic noise

To report Domestic Noise in Stirling please contact the Out of Hours Noise Team on: 01786 404040

Commercial noise and nuisance

We also investigate noise, smell and smoke complaints from commercial and industrial premises. Times when the problem occurs should be noted to help with any investigation.

Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:51 PM