The Scottish Government has announced support to low income households to help tackle the cost of living crisis. The Cost of living award is for £150 and will be provided as a credit to Council Tax accounts and will show on your annual Council Tax bill as a payment if you fall into either category:
- A person who lives in and is liable for council tax for a council tax Band A-D dwelling and does not receive Council Tax Reduction;
- A person who lives in a dwelling in any Council Tax valuation band, is liable for Council Tax and is in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (CTR), this includes bands E – H.
The following categories will also receive a payment before the end of April 2022, this will either be by BACS or cheque:
- Certain categories of person living in a property exempt from Council Tax as follows;
- all the occupants are under 18;
- all the occupants are care leavers;
- all the occupants are severely mentally impaired;
- the property is unoccupied because the resident has gone to someone else's home to provide care or the resident receives care elsewhere.
Eligibility for the award is based on whether a person is liable for Council Tax on 14 February 2022 and will not be considered for other dates. It will not be paid for any unoccupied properties or second homes (other than where the occupant is exempt because they have gone to someone else's home to provide care or they receive care elsewhere).
Only one payment will be made in relation to any single dwelling.
There is no need to apply for this payment.”