Pay by Direct Debit Online Now
Set up your payment online now
If you have a bank account, Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay. You can choose to pay:
- Over 10 months on the 1st, or 17th of the month (May – February)
- Over 12 months on the 1st, 17th or 28th of the month (April – March)
- 4 weekly on a Friday
- Fortnightly (every second Friday)
- Weekly (every Friday)
Direct Debit will save you time and help you manage your money. It's efficient and reliable; you won’t get reminder notices, and your rights under the Direct Debit scheme are guaranteed. Over 25,000 households (70%) in Stirling already pay this way.
Note: If you don’t have a bank account, we can tell you how to easily open one. For more information, call us on 01786 233210 between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday (3.30pm Wednesdays) or dial 01786 404040, for Minicom (hard of hearing only) dial 01786 464599. Or you can email us.
- You can pay by debit card.
Online Payments cannot currently be taken using Internet Explorer 8. Please call the contact centre (open 24/7) on 01786 404040 and we will take your payment over the phone.
- Quote your payment reference number and pay to the Royal Bank of Scotland plc sort code 832709 account number 00135247.
- Please phone with your debit card details 01786 404040 (24 hours including public holidays). For Minicom (hard of hearing only) dial 01786 464599.
By Plastic Swipe Card:
- At any Council office, your local Post Office or shops displaying Paypoint signs.
- Please cross your cheque or postal order and make it payable to Stirling Council and write your name, address and payment reference number, (shown on your bill), on the back. Post to: Customer First, 1 - 5 Port Street, Stirling FK8 2EJ
You can, if you wish, increase your Council Tax payments each month, pay before the date you are due or even pay all of your Council tax at once. You must make sufficient payments to cover the instalments billed by the date they are due.
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. This Reduction helps people on a low income pay their Council Tax bill. Council Tax Benefit does not cover any water or waste water charges which you are due to pay along with your Council Tax.
If you don't make full payment, and you don’t contact us, we will have to take court action with a 10% statutory penalty added.
If you have a problem paying your bill, please contact us by email or by telephone on 01786 233177 without delay so we can help you avoid formal recovery action.
How Your Bill is Calculated
Your bill assumes that you will remain liable for the Council Tax through to 31 March and that you will continue to be entitled to any discount or exemption which may be shown on your bill. (Some exemptions only last for a limited period. If you have an exemption and it runs out during the year, you will be sent a new bill at that time.) Please let us know immediately if your circumstances change so that we can amend your bill. If you don't tell us about changes in your circumstances, you may be liable for a fine.
Rights of Appeal
If you think your council tax is wrong, or you disagree with our decision to hold you liable for the bill, you can appeal in writing to the Revenues and Benefits Manager.
Council Tax Band
You can appeal to the Assessor against your Band, but only within 6 months of becoming liable for the council tax. (Your council tax depends on which band your property falls into. Houses were banded in 1991 and have not been changed. All new houses built since then have been banded in terms of 1991 prices)
Last updated: Monday, June 21, 2021 10:02 AM