Council responders have been praised for their swift reactions after flash flooding across Stirling caused major disruption to city centre roads and closed three local schools.

Port Street and Murray Place were amongst the worst-hit after a deluge of rain flooded parts of the city centre and surrounding areas.

Wallace High School, Ochil House and Castleview Primary School were all closed on Tuesday 25 June, due to heavy rain and severe flooding.

At Wallace, water damaged ceiling tiles and flooded parts of the Ochil House kitchen. Full assessments are underway and the car park and grounds were cleared of water by 9am on Tuesday morning.

**Confirmed: Wallace High School will reopen tomorrow (Wednesday, 26 June). Parents and carers with children at Ochil House and Castleview Primary School will be contacted individually by each school to be provided with an update.**

The Council’s Customer First unit on Port Street was also forced to close its ground floor, with flooding temporarily impacting the Contact Centre telephone number.

Emergency Council customer services have been relocated to Teith House while repairs are carried out. Residents can still use the 01786 40 40 40 number during this period.

As of 1pm, Sheriffmuir Road remained closed by Police.

Convenor for Environment and Housing, Cllr Jim Thomson said: “It’s hard to remember such severe flash flooding like this in Stirling with so little warning but as conditions deteriorated last night, Council staff responded quickly with partners in the Police and Fire and Rescue Service to react to the damage and disruption caused by the weather.

“Our praise goes to the people who were first on the scene and all the teams who worked long into the night to get as many roads and footpaths open as possible in the wake of such a swift turn in the weather.”

The A9 Burghmuir Road on Station Underpass was closed before 9pm as the Council’s Roads and Land Services Teams were deployed to the city centre and Blairlogie to assist with clear up operations.

Contractors were tasked with clearing Burghmuir Road and Causewayhead Road once the heavy rain subsided, while sandbags were deployed at Spring Kerse.

Emergency work was carried out on the footpath at Broad Street/Bow Street as work continued into the night to repair as much of the damage caused by the deluge.

By 1.30am, flooding was cleared on the A9 Burghmuir Road, with Bridghaugh at the Rugby Club following soon after at 3am. Causewayhead fully reopened at 3.30am.

Vice convenor of Environment and Housing, Cllr Danny Gibson added: “It is always difficult to quantify exactly how much disruption will be caused by an extreme weather event such as this, but our teams responded excellently.

“Work continues today to fully assess the damage and our clean-up operation is well underway to ensure roads, underpasses and schools are able to function normally.”

Work continues today to assess the damage caused by the floods to properties and local businesses.

Updates will be provided throughout the day via the Stirling Council social media feeds on Facebook and on Twitter

Rate this Page