All Council-run education establishments across the local authority area will close to pupils until further notice and Stirling Council is currently working to assess the impact of this decision from the Government.
Ms Sturgeon said: “My view is that it is now inevitable that we will close schools and nurseries.
“My planning assumption is that schools will close to pupils at the end of this week. I wanted today to give parents notice of that.”
In light of the news, Stirling Council’s education service will now prioritise the following key elements of service provision:
- Food and free school meals
- Digital online learning and SQA exams
- Listening and wellbeing services to support young people
- Childcare and respite to ensure key workers can attend work
It has yet to be confirmed by the Government at what time schools will close on Friday.
More information will be available after a further statement from the Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Education, MSP John Swinney on Thursday, 19 March.
In the meantime we encourage our residents to continue to follow the national guidance from:
- NHS Inform: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19#stay-at-home-advice
- Scottish Government: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/