Tree management

If you plan to carry out tree work you will need permission from Stirling Council to undertake work on any TPO protected trees, or trees in conservation areas.

How to apply

You need to complete a Tree Works Application form before carrying out any work. We encourage you to obtain a tree report and submit this along with your application. You can get this from a qualified arboricultural consultant or tree surgeon. Complete the form if:

  • the tree(s) are covered by a TPO
  • the tree(s) are within a conservation area The Council requires no less than 6 weeks' notice before you plan to start tree works.
  • the tree(s) are protected by a condition on a planning consent – you might have to submit a new planning application to vary the terms of the original consent
  • a condition on a planning consent require that permission in writing is obtained prior to any work being carried out to trees

Email your completed form to or post it to the address on the form. Submit your form at least 6 weeks before you plan to start tree works.

It is an offence to cut down, lop, top, uproot or wilfully damage or destroy a protected tree without Council permission. Carrying out work to protected trees without permission can lead to a fine of up to £20,00

Emergency work to protected trees

If a tree is dead, dying or in a dangerous condition, it may be exempt from requiring permission for works to be carried out. In such circumstances:

  • you still have a duty to notify the Council in writing of any proposed works
  • you should give at least 5 days' notice before any work commences, or soon as possible after any emergency work has taken place
  • proof of the condition of the tree, prior to work being carried out, must be provided by a suitably qualified arboricultural consultant or tree surgeon.

Replanting of any felled trees will normally be required.

Trees in conservation areas

Trees within a conservation area are also protected by law and you must follow the same process for TPO trees if you plan to carry out any work.

Healthy trees that are less than 7.5cm in diameter measured 1.5m above the ground or the pruning of trees being grown for the production of fruit do not require notification. Works to or the removal of shrubs and hedges are also exempt.

Trees and development

If your property was built later than the mid 1970's, the trees by your property may also be protected by planning conditions. These may state that you will need local authority consent to carry out any works on these trees. If such a condition applies you will have to apply to undertake the work.