Protected Trees

You will need permission from the Council to undertake work to any protected tree(s).

  • If the tree(s) are covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or by Conservation Area (CA) status, you will need to submit a Tree Works Application Form.
  • If the tree(s) are protected by a condition on a planning consent then you might have to submit a new planning application to vary the terms of the original consent.
  • In some cases a condition on a planning consent might require that permission in writing is obtained prior to any work being carried out to trees, in these cases, a Tree Works Application Form needs to be submitted.

Completed forms should be returned to the Tree Officer using the Contact Us on the right of the page. 

It is an offence to cut down, lop, top, uproot or wilfully damage or destroy a protected tree without the Council's permission. Carrying out work to protected trees without permission can lead to a fine of up to £20,000.

Unprotected Trees

Generally speaking, no action is required to carry out work to trees which are not protected by any of the above. If however more than 5 cubic metres (equivalent to 2 large mature trees) is to be felled then a Felling Licence is required, which can be obtained from the Forestry Commission.


If a tree is dead, dying or in a dangerous condition then it may be exempt from requiring permission for works to be carried out. In such circumstances:

  • You still have a duty to notify the Council in writing of any proposed works.
  • A notice should be given at least 5 days before any work commences, or be given as soon as possible after any work has taken place.
  • Proof of the condition of the tree prior to work being carried out must be provided along with the notification.
Further Information

Please refer to the following documents:

  • For information regarding trees on Council land, call the Contact Centre (01786 404040) and ask for Land Services (trees in parks and open spaces), Countryside Services (Council maintained woodlands) or Housing Services (Council tenants).
  • If you live in the Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park, contact their Tree Officer on (01389) 722600.

For queries regarding planning and environmental issues associated with the Stirling and Clackmannanshire Forestry and Woodland Strategy, and related felling licences and woodland creation proposals, please contact Richard Callender, Senior Planning Officer (Planning & Policy), on 01786 233662.

Last updated: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:50 PM