Scotland's finest surviving renaissance mansion. This 17th century town residence was built around 1630 by Sir William Alexander, founder of Nova Scotia and Viscount Canada. He became Secretary of State for Scotland and was appointed the first Earl of Stirling.
It passed to the Argyll family on his death and was extended by the 9th Earl in 1666. Charles II stayed here before being crowned at Scone in 1651. The second Duke of Argyll set up his headquarters here in 1715, before the Battle of Sheriffmuir and 'Butcher' Cumberland stayed here on his way to Culloden in 1746.
The rooms which include the laigh hall, dining room, drawing room and bed chamber, are restored and furnished as they would have been during the 9th Earl's occupation around 1680. The furniture and furnishings include beautifully carved and inlaid tables, elegantly upholstered chairs, glorious tapestries and hangings. Skilled craftsmen working with detailed inventories, have recreated the interiors to the highest standard.
For latest information on opening times and prices see VisitScotland