The Ring is the Guildry's most precious possession
It is likely to have been given to the Guildry by King David II in 1360 when the King confirmed the Charter granted to the Burgh by King Alexander II. The earliest extant record of the gift is the Guildry Minutes of October 1630 when it was described as part of the Guildry belongings delivered by John Cowane, Dean of Guild, to his successor on his election as Dean. The Ring is the customary symbol under Scots Law which would accompany the gift of the Royal Charter on ratification.
The Ring, which is kept in an Edinburgh Bank for safe keeping, is of gold set with five jewels in the form of a cross, a ruby, an emerald, a garnet, a purple stone and a crystal. The outer side of the band is inscribed "YIS FOR YE DEINE OF GEILD OF STIRLING". A replica of the Ring is attached to the Dean's Chain of Office and the real Ring has seldom been on view, although it was exhibited to the public at the Guildry's exhibition on the occasion of its 750th Anniversary in 1976.