Health and safety at work

All workers are entitled to work in environments where risks to their health and safety are properly controlled.  Under health and safety law, the primary responsibility for this is held by employers.  Employers have a duty to consult with their employees, or their representatives, on health and safety matters.

Stirling Council are also committed to protecting the health and safety of the public and visitors in their interactions with staff and within council buildings.

Report an incident at work

If you are an employer, self-employed or a person in control of work premises, you are required to report:

  • reportable workplace incidents/injuries
  • specified injuries to workers
  • occupational diseases
  • dangerous occurrences


Our Environmental Health team enforce Health and Safety legislation in non-manufacturing premises such as offices, shops, warehouses and service industries, while the Health and Safety Executive is responsible for factories, workshops and construction sites.

We ensure that the Health and Safety at Work Etc Act 1974 and its associated regulations are known and followed by employers and their employees.

  • We conduct Health and Safety inspections
  • We provide advice and guidance
  • We undertake accident and incident investigations
  • We carry out enforcement action where necessary

You may also be interested in:

  • Information on the HSE and Health and Safety legislation

Buildings - Dangerous structure

Our Housing and Environmental Health teams can take action against owners who fail to maintain their property to a satisfactory standard.  Read our advice on how to maintain your property.

Public health

If you have or are intending on installing a cooling tower, or evaporative condenser, you are required to notify us.

Influenza pandemics are explosive global events in which most, if not all persons worldwide are at risk of infection and illness.  We have a contingency plan to ensure that essential services during such an event.

Food safety

Find out more information if you intend to start a new business selling food or wish to report a food business.