Insurance claims against Stirling Council

First published

11 Aug 2022

Last updated

11 Aug 2022

Completion and processing of claims

Completion of a claim form and its submission to Stirling Council cannot be construed as binding the Council’s liability to the claimant or any other party. You must indicate:

  • why you consider liability rests with the Council for your loss
  • what way you hold us negligent

If you are insured for this type of loss, you should consider intimating a claim to your own insurers, who will, if necessary, claim against the Council.

Damage as a result of third-party operators is the responsibility of that organisation, and claims should be taken up directly with them.

In the event that a claim is successful, we can only pay for fair, reasonable and recoverable losses arising directly as a result of the accident. Administration costs cannot be reimbursed.

If the claim is related to a Stirling Council vehicle, please contact our Insurance Team for guidance on how to make your claim.

The minimum time frame for a full investigation of a claim and decision is eight weeks. No information can be given during this time.

In most circumstances, the Council uses an external company to review its claims and make a decision as to whether or not we are legally liable for the loss. You will, therefore, receive notification from the company (currently Gallagher Bassett International) telling you the outcome of your claim.


The personal information you provide will be treated confidentially at all times and may be used in a number of ways. In particular, we may use it for the following purposes:

  • making decisions about whether to settle or reject your claim
  • the resolution of disputes through the courts
  • compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements
  • the detection and prevention of fraud

The Council has a duty to protect the public funds we administer, and to this end we may use the information for the detection and prevention of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

In connection with the above, we may share your information with:

  • our insurers, insurance brokers and loss adjusters
  • other local authorities
  • contractors and utility companies

You will be asked to confirm that you agree to your information being shared. Your claim cannot be processed without your consent.

Under the Data Protection Act, you are entitled to a copy of the information we hold on you. Any request should be addressed to the address below, making it clear that it is a subject access request.

Records and Information Compliance Manager
Stirling Council

You can find detailed information on how we’ll handle your personal data in our privacy notice about insurance claims.