Licences for businesses

Certain types of businesses or activities will need a licence before they can operate in the Stirling Council area.

Licensing register

Late hours catering licences

In the Stirling Council area, premises that offer meals or refreshments which are prepared or heated on the premises and consumed on or off the premises, between 11pm and 5am, must have a late hours catering licence.

A late hours licence is not needed if a premises licence for the sale of alcohol has been granted and the operating plan includes the provision of meals and refreshments at the relevant times.

The hours of trading for city centre premises are:

  • for late hours catering licences — Thursday evenings until 2am and Friday and Saturday evenings until 3am
  • delivery or drive-through services – 5am. No customers are allowed to enter the premises after 2am on Thursdays or 3am on Fridays and Saturdays. Delivery must be to a legitimate residential or business address.

Premises outside Stirling city centre who wish extend their operating hours can submit a variation of hours notification. These are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Second-hand dealer licence

To sell second-hand goods, you need a second-hand dealer's licence from Stirling Council.

The licence lets you sell or trade within the Stirling Council Area. Generally, licences are needed to sell or trade the following categories of goods.

  • jewellery
  • furniture and domestic appliances
  • antiques
  • clocks and watches
  • televisions, radios, video or DVD recorders and musical instruments
  • bicycles
  • DVDs, CDs, computer games
  • vehicles

Second-hand dealer's licence application

Conditions for second-hand dealer’s licences

Metal dealer's licence

You need a metal dealer's licence from Stirling Council to carry on a business as a metal dealer. You can apply if:

  • you are not disqualified from holding a licence, and are a fit and proper person to be the holder of the licence
  • the business premises and their location is suitable for the activity of metal dealing
  • you must not have been refused the same licence within the last year unless there has been a material change in your circumstances since your last application

Metal dealer's licence application

Street trader's licence

To operate as a street trader you may need a licence from Stirling Council. A street trader's licence is NOT needed for:

  • the sale of newspapers only
  • the sale of milk by or on behalf of a person registered under the Food Safety Act 1990
  • the sale of coal or fuel derived from coal or coke
  • any activity for which a certificate under the Peddler's Act 1871 has been granted
  • any activity for which a more specific licence is required
  • organising or participating in a public charitable collection, which has been granted permission under Subsection 16 of Section 119 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

If you plan to sell food from a vehicle or stall you need to have it inspected to ensure compliance with food hygiene regulations. A licence cannot be granted without a valid food safety certificate of compliance.

Where you intend to act as a street trader from a fixed location, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have permission to use the land. We also suggest you seek advice around the need for planning permission and contact Stirling Council's Road's Team regarding any matters related to roads.

Street trading will not normally be permitted in the following areas of Stirling Town Centre - King Street, Port Street, Barnton Street, Friars Street, Murray Place, Maxwell Place and Station Road.

A street trader's licence is granted to an individual. If more than one person is proposing to sell or trade, each individual will need a licence in their own right.

Conditions will be attached to the licence once granted.

Street trader's licence application