Other licences

Use this guide to find out about licences for entertainment events, caravan sites and other activities.

Caravan site licences

To run a caravan and camping site, within the geographical area of Stirling Council you need a licence from the Stirling Council. The number of caravans permitted on the site will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions, which are designed to provide adequate standards of amenities, facilities to users and more importantly to protect their health, safety and welfare.

There are two types of caravan site licences and you may need both;-

  • Holiday/Tourer site licence for temporary, holiday type purposes
  • Permanent Residential site licence if people live on your site all year round.

Please note ‘tent’ only sites do not need a licence but may still require Planning Permission.

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority.

There are some exceptions:

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually traveller sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

The site must have the necessary planning consent from either Stirling Council or The Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Authority, before a licence can be issued.

Applications must be made in writing, accompanied with all relevant information, and fee, as applicable.

For further information including application forms, application fees etc. please contact Regulatory Services

by email to regulatoryservices@stirling.gov.uk

or by telephone on 01786 404040. Please ask for Regulatory Services, Public Health & Pollution Team


Public entertainment licences

The Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 allows for licensing places of public entertainment. Stirling Council has determined that a public entertainment licence will be needed for certain functions at the following places:

Read the full resolution for public entertainment licences

Exemptions from licensing

Certain premises are specifically exempted from the provisions of the Act and will not need a licence. These are:

  • athletic or sports grounds while being used as such
  • school or other educational establishments while being used as such
  • churches or other premises belonging to a religious body while being used as such
  • theatres, cinemas and bingo halls
  • premises having a permit under the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976
  • public houses, restaurants and hotels during the permitted hours
  • places where amusements with prize machines are being used incidental to the main use of the premises

Download a public entertainment licence application form
Download a temporary public entertainment licence application form


Child performance licence

You may need a Child Entertainment Licence if your production or activity includes children under compulsory school leaving age as defined on the UK Government Website. Productions and activities include:

  • Television
  • Theatre
  • Modelling
  • Sport

You need a licence so that we can make sure that the child's learning and welfare are protected during the production or activity.

To apply for a licence download the Application and Risk Assessment forms above.

In the event that you fail to provide the required information your application will not be considered. If you have any queries about the information or required documentation please contact us at educ-comments@stirling.gov.uk

Completed Applications and accompanying documentation must be received at least 21 days before the production or activity takes place. It is at the Council’s discretion to refuse Applications received less than 21 days before the production or activity takes place. If you require a performance licence within the 21 day period you are required to contact us via the address above prior to submitting your application.

You can find more information about performances on the Scottish Government Website

View the Guidance on the revised arrangements for ensuring the wellbeing of children involved in performances and licensed activities published by the Scottish Government.

Additional application forms