Trading Standards

We aim to help maintain a fair trading environment for businesses and consumers within the Stirling Council and Clackmannanshire Council areas

Trading Standards laws

We help maintain a fair trading environment for businesses and consumers within the Stirling Council and Clackmannanshire Council areas. To do that we enforce a wide range of Trading Standards laws and provide advice and guidance to both consumers and traders.
View our Enforcement Policy here.

If you have concerns about a business in Stirling not complying with the Government Guidelines, please report your concerns by completing the online form.


Business advice

We provide advice and guidance on Trading Standards topics to businesses who are based in the Stirling Council or Clackmannanshire Council areas.

Our officers can also provide talks or training sessions to businesses or other community groups.

For business advice please Email Us.

We aim to respond to you within 5 working days or you can obtain comprehensive guidance documents below.

Get Business Advice Guides from

Buy with confidence

In response to concerns about 'rogue traders', a partnership of Local Authority Trading Standards Services have formed the “Buy With Confidence” Scheme.

The scheme provides consumers with a list of local businesses which have given their commitment to trading fairly.

Every business listed has undergone a series of detailed checks by Trading Standards before being approved as a member of the scheme.

Find a Local Business

Whilst we make every effort to ensure that members comply with the law, we cannot guarantee that their work will never give rise to a complaint.

National list of members on the Buy With Confidence website

Consumer advice

Initial requests for advice should, at present, be directed to our partner agency – Advice Direct Scotland who can be contacted on 0808 164 6000 or via the consumer advice website.

Their advisers will:

  • Give you practical advice on how to resolve your consumer problem
  • Inform you of the consumer laws which may apply to your situation
  • Pass relevant information to the appropriate Trading Standards authority for consideration/further investigation

They cannot:

  • Obtain a refund for you, or take court action for you
  • Recommend a business or tell which particular businesses to avoid
  • Investigate complaints about food hygiene or food standards, this is dealt with by Environmental Health.

We will continue to monitor complaints and enquiries about unfair trading or pricing practices and consumer safety issues that are received via Advice Direct Scotland. These will be assessed and dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and in accordance with the present Scottish Government and NHS requirements.

If you are looking for a business to undertake works for you, please visit


For Europe-wide consumer advice, visit the UK European Consumer Centre

Licences and registration

In order to sell fireworks, you must register with the Council to do so. The licence application form below should be completed and returned. Please ensure you have read the guidance notes included with the application form. A licence will be granted for storage, subject to an inspection of the suitability of your intended storage. Once licensed you are able to sell fireworks at specified times of the year which are:

  • Bonfire Night: 15 October - 10 November
  • Diwali: 3 days before and on the day of the festival
  • New Year: 26 December - 31 December
  • Chinese New Year: 3 days before and on the day of the festival

Storage of fireworks on a licence must be in compliance with the conditions set out in the licence.

If you wish to sell fireworks at any other time of the year you will need to purchase an additional licence. For further information please contact us.

Download an Explosives Registration Form

Animal feed hygiene

The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement)(Scotland) Regulations 2005 are intended to ensure that the storage and use of animal feeding stuff are adequately controlled. The Regulations apply to most businesses who handle animal feeding stuff, including manufacturers, suppliers, farmers and livestock hauliers. For more information, see the Food Standards Agency advice

Important Notice:

All businesses that make, use or market animal feed in Scotland need to register with Food Standards Scotland from 1 April 2021. This registration is no longer processed by this Service.

Approval applies to those establishments which carry out certain higher risk activities such as the manufacture and marketing of certain feed additives or premixtures of feed additives, or the production of feed containing specified feed additives.

For more information please visit the Food Standards Scotland Website.

Storage of petroleum

Petroleum storage certificates and licence

Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014

There are now two types of document, depending on whether the petrol is stored at workplace premises or non-workplace premises:
  • A Petroleum Storage Certificate applies to petrol dispensing premises which are workplaces. This includes a petrol filling station (PFS).
  • A Petroleum Licence applies only to storage at domestic or other non-workplace premises.

A Petroleum Storage Certificate is issued for particular premises. It does not contain detailed conditions, but the Regulations set out some basic rules, such as:

  • Petrol must only be dispensed:
    - For use in a motor vehicle or motorboat, or
    - To fill a suitable portable container or a demountable fuel tank, or
    - For the purpose of maintenance or calibration of the dispenser.
  • No person under 16 years of age is to operate a dispenser.
  • No person is to supply or allow the supply of, petrol to a person under 16 years of age.

In addition, operators of workplace premises must comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR), which require operators to carry out a risk assessment in respect of the storage and dispensing of fuels at the premises. Guidance can be found in a document known as the Red Guide.

A Petroleum Licence (not a Petroleum Storage Certificate) is issued to a person to permit the storage of petrol for private use at domestic or non-workplace premises. The DSEAR regulations do not apply to these premises.

30 litres of petrol can be stored at home or at non-workplace premises (including motor vehicles, boats and aircraft) without informing the PEA provided that common storage requirements are met (see below) and the storage place is fire separated from the rest of the building and any exit routes.

The petrol can be stored in:

  • Suitable portable metal (20ltrs) or plastic containers (10ltrs)
  • One demountable fuel tank (30ltrs)

A combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept.

If you intend to store petrol, please contact us for advice. Before issuing a new Certificate or Licence, we are required to ensure that the installation is suitable for the intended purpose. We can provide information on current industry standards for the design and construction of filling stations.

Further information:

Storing Petrol Safely
Portable Petrol Storage Containers

Before completing an application, please contact us for guidance on any supporting information which may be required, such as drawings.

Annual fees are:

Quantity up to 2,500 litres


2,501 to 50,000 litres


Over 50,000 litres


Inspection, testing and enforcement

Below is a brief summary of each area of trading law that we enforce.


Most types of goods for sale must have their prices indicated.


Wide-ranging safety laws apply to many classes of goods, some of which must now carry the "CE" mark, which is a declaration that the product complies with European safety standards.


We enforce regulations about credit advertising and licensing. We provide advice on other aspects of consumer credit law.

Fair Trading

We enforce regulations which control many trading practices which would adversely affect consumers, such as false descriptions and banned practices.


We enforce laws concerning the counterfeiting of goods. Copied goods have included alcoholic drinks, computer software, cosmetics and designer clothing.

Weights and measures

We inspect weighing and measuring equipment used in both retail and industrial premises, such as shops, pubs, petrol stations and factories. We also check the quantity markings of goods on retail sale.


We administer petrol storage licensing and explosives and poisons registrations.