February 2024 Minutes

Download or view in PDF format

Minutes of meeting 1st February 2024
Present: Stuart Freckingham (Chair), Craig Potter (Vice Chair), Sue Bell (Treasurer), Alison Limbert, Fiona Shaw, Alasdair Street, Claudia Duncan, Laura Shaw (minutes)
Apologies: None
In Attendance: Cllr Paul Henke, Anne Adams, Laura Elder, Ellen Jones, George,
Harvey, John Paton, Pauline Conway, Chelsea McKinnon, Claire McIlvenna, Jemma Beedie
2) Adoption of Minutes of Previous Meeting
The Minutes from the meeting on 7th December 2023 were proposed by Alison Limbert and seconded by Fiona Shaw.
3) Matters Arising
a. Christmas Lights on Buchanan Street Lights - BCC supports the community
campaign to install Christmas lights on Buchanan Street in the village and Laura Elder has offered to lead on this project. A copy of the Stirling Council policy on installing lighting on street lights has been sent to Laura, along with a summary of the steps in the process. The steps include working with Stirling Council once the type of lights have been selected to ensure that the structure and the electrical connections are adequate for the purpose. Fundraising suggestions included a crowdfunding appeal, fundraising events and seeking grants. Claire has experience and will lead on writing external
funding applications. Balfron Community Council will arrange a quote for the additional insurance and the cost will be met through funds raised for the project. All funds raised can be deposited into the BCC bank account. Meeting to be arranged with all those who have volunteered to help with the project.
b. Christmas Lights for Tontine Christmas tree - BCC recognise that the new location at the Tontine for the Christmas tree has led to the current lights being inadequate and require upgrading. It was proposed and agreed to make an application to the Stirling
Council Community Grant fund for upgraded lights for the Tontine Christmas tree.
4) Declarations of Interest
5) Projects
a. Balfron Active Places
Most of the work is now complete. Donaldson Loan path to Endrick Gardens work is due to begin next week. The surfacing work and reinstallation of the speed bump at The Clachan is due to take place by the end of March. Craig has spoken with Sustrans
about the safety concerns at the pedestrian crossing; they will consider painting temporary road markings until the speed bump is reinstalled.
Residents raised the issue of speeding within the village. There has been a reduction in speed since the traffic slowing measures on Buchanan Street, however this does not account for the whole village. Particular concerns were raised around safety at the Co-op crossing. Sustrans will notify Stirling Council to conduct an audit of the road
layout outside the Co-op. It was noted that the primary school parent council has also raised the issue of the removal of traffic patrol crossing staff.
6) Police Report
Received 04.02.2024. No major incidents reported. The police report will be on the Balfron Community Council website and noticeboards.
7) Elected Councillor’s report
The public toilets have been fixed following vandalism.
8) Treasurer report
The inventory of assets to be insured by BCC is due to Stirling Council next month. The list is to be reviewed by BCC via email before the next meeting. The issue of who owns the stone bus shelter remains unresolved and is being investigated by Stirling Council.
9) Planning report
a. Applications - No new applications. Extension to front and rear of dwellinghouse at 17 Cotton Street. The extension has been approved with conditions. One planning enforcement issue at Bankers Brae (Pirn Inn) of a listed building. A planning appeal has been lodged against the refusal of a fourth house at the newly built houses near the
Old Manse.
b. Local Place Plan
BCC to develop a Local Place Plan (by April 2025) to set out priorities to inform the Stirling Development Plan 2027. This would consider new housing, transport, and new facilities. A Community Action Plan could also be developed which would cover issues pertinent to the community. BCC will discuss this at the next meeting.
10) Chair’s report
BCC are part of a group of rural community councils led by Strathard who have been lobbying Stirling Council, councillors and MSPs on services which are being reviewed under the upcoming budget. The services include buses, libraries, bin collections, nurseries and public toilets amongst other items. A resident also raised the importance
of the bus service to Stirling to patients to get to Larbert Hospital. Another resident suggested fundraising for community transportation.
12) AOB
Balfron Energy Day - Craig has been in contact with Stirling Council energy department who have offered to attend a BCC meeting to discuss how we can use data on carbon emissions in the village and engage the community in discussion. Craig to arrange an
invite. Action: CP A resident also noted that the wooden stairs at the playpark at Donaldson Way are rotting. Stuart to contact Stirling Council. Action: SF
A resident raised the availability of grants for events and activities on climate change. Suggestions of a cloth gift wrapping and a gift swap shop event nearer to Christmas.
13) Next meeting 7th March 2024 at 7:30pm in Balfron High School