Feb 2022 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format


Venue – On line via Zoom Wednesday 9.2.22 @ 7.30 pm



Apologies – Henry Braid (HB), Chris Holt (CH)

Attending- Margaret Firth (MF), David Armstrong (DA), Donnie Watson (DW), Cyndy Bourbousson (CB), Alistair Berrill (AB), Willie Nisbet (WN), 4 residents

1. Previous Minutes. Approved DW Seconded CB

2. Police Report (emailed report) –

Forth and Endrick, Croftamie Community Council February 2022 - Compiled by PC Steven Graham

Antisocial Behaviour

There have been no reports of anti-social behaviour since the last meeting.

Road Safety

There were no reportable RTCs in the Croftamie area since the last meeting.

Advice for Drivers

Prepare for the winter by keeping your vehicle well maintained before you take to the road. Take special care that brakes, tyres, lights, batteries, windscreens and wiper blades are in good condition. In addition, washer bottles need to contain an additive to stop the water from freezing.

Tyres should also be checked weekly to ensure they are legal and at the correct pressure (consult your vehicle handbook). The minimum legal tread depth for cars is 1.6mm across the centre 3/4 of the breadth of the tread around the entire circumference. They should also be checked for bulges, cuts or tears which weaken the tyre. Failure to maintain your tyres could lead to a maximum of £2,500 fine and 3 penalty points per tyre.

Make sure your windows are clean, properly demisted and clear of snow and ice before you drive. Also make sure that your roof is clear of snow as this affects drivers behind you and can also cause obstructions on your windscreen when braking. Be careful with low sun as it can make it difficult to see and a dirty, greasy or damaged windscreen can make this worse.

All lights must be kept clean and clear and be in good working order, including registration plate lights. Use the help of someone to check that all of your lights are working.


There have been no thefts in the Croftamie area since the last meeting however an attempt was also made to gain entry to Oakwood Garden Centre in Killearn. No entry was gained.

What basic steps can I take to protect my home?

The evenings are getting dark earlier and it is a time where traditionally housebreakings can occur. Having your home broken into is not common. There are however many ways that you can help secure your home. They don’t all cost money – some are common sense and good housekeeping.

First, think about basic good housekeeping routines that aren’t expensive:


• Keep your home locked at all times

• Many thieves do not need to break in at all because a door or window has been left open or


• Don’t leave keys on the inside of door locks, under mats or anywhere else they can be easily found

• If you have a ‘thumb turn’ lock on the inside of a door, ensure that it cannot be accessed from


• Don’t keep house keys and car keys on the same key ring

• Don't keep a lot of cash in the house

• Mark your property with a UV marker pen or Security DNA marking Kit - these can be bought online or in some stores

• Look for the Secured By Design accreditation on the product and register - you can place an invisible imprint of your postcode and house number on your possessions

• You can record and register details of your valuables, serial numbers and features or marks, on devices on the national mobile property register on the immobilise website - this includes mobile phones, cameras, laptops and tablets

• Don’t leave valuables where they can be see through a window - for example, around the tree at Christmas time

• If you have a wall calendar, avoid having it shown near a window from where appointments

can be seen - people may see when there will be no one in.

• Use timer switches on lights and radios to make it look as if your home is occupied.

• Ensure all doors and windows are secure when you leave and when you go to bed.

• If possible use secure lighting at the front and back of your property.

• Make sure all garden tools and ladders are locked away when not being used. Don’t give the

thieves the tools to break into your house.

• Use a good quality lock on any garden sheds and outhouses.

Make a note of all makes, models and serial numbers of expensive items in your home.

• If your house is fitted with an alarm then please use it. This is a good deterrent should

thieves manage to force entry to your house.

• If you note anything suspicious in your neighbourhood report it on 101.


Fraudsters can make contact with you by phone. The caller might pretend to be from your bank and ask for personal information such as bank details or they might be someone offering you a deal or a prize. Other calls have been made by persons purporting to be from HMRC stating that there was a warrant out for the receiver of the call and was asked to contact the number that was given. This is clearly a false call so please heed the below advice:

• Consider making your phone number ex-directory.

• Don’t give out any personal information unless you are the one who made the call and you

are certain of the identity of the person you are speaking to.

• Don’t give out your credit card or bank card details to strangers on the telephone.

• NEVER tell somebody your bank PIN number, even if they claim to be the bank or police. If the caller is genuine they will never ask for this information.

• Don’t give out information which may infer that you live alone, are older or vulnerable.

• Never send money to anyone who claims to have a prize for you.

• If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Contact local trading standards – they may be able to use approved ‘call blocking’ technology.


Community Engagement and Reassurance

It is important to you to have community officers who you know, who are accessible and who address local problems

PC Steven Graham is based at Balfron Police Office and can be contacted at the office, on 101, or at ForthEndrickCPT@scotland.pnn.police.uk. It is recommended that this email address is used by the local community for email contact.

Please remember that we regularly publish useful information and updates on social media, including appeals for information, updates about road closures and crime prevention advice. Our Facebook and Twitter pages can be found at

www.facebook.com/forthvalleypolicedivision www.facebook.com/policescotland www.twitter.com/stirlingpol www.twitter.com/policescotland

MF to Ask the police if there has been an incident at Mugdock or Aberfoyle in relation to a man lurking about.

WN- someone on the A82 was stopping people and asking them for money but his man has been arrested.

Response from Police 11 Feb 22 Just after new year there was a report of a male acting suspiciously on the West Highland Way, near Mugdock Park. We carried out extra patrols in the area. There have been no further recent reports either to the Police or to staff at the Park.

With regards to the males begging for money. There was a report in the area between Gargunnock and Stirling. The males were caught another day doing the same thing north of Callander and arrested. It was not on the report as there were no reports of the males in Croftamie or the nearby area.

3. Planning Report –nothing to update this month. The new development in Drymen hopes to commence in the Spring.

April will bring changes to industries that have to move away from Red Diesel thus rising costs for businesses such as builders.

4. RSHA Croftamie – Buchanan Crescent. No update this month.

5. Roads Update – DW. Just re the bridge closures and to be aware of the diversions in the area.

6. Treasurer Update – DA

Balance of the account is £2155.75. The situation with SSE is still not resolved. No notification of date of cut off of power and no amount billed yet for Christmas lighting so we are still paying quarterly fees until the power is cut off. We expect a bill for over £100 for the two quarters due and the power for Christmas 2021.

7. Stirling Council Update – AB


No further update on the Bridge- there is a meeting this week with Bruce Reekie and then the info will be provided to the Community. AB would attend this meeting.

Committee meet tomorrow- where topics such as anti social behaviour and dog fouling are discussed.

Council meeting to be held in March where discussions around council tax rises will be held.

Council Elections to be held in May- bins will be an issue and some are hoping to get grey bin reinstated to two weekly.

Covid recovery plan – most employees are still working remotely and not in the office and committees are still held remotely.

AB asked if anyone had any Specific issues resulting in the remote working?

AB announced that he would not be standing in the next election and that he is retiring after 19 years. Jane Hutchison will also not be standing for re-election. It was recognised that we would be losing a vast of experience.

Two candidates, Paul Henkey and Tom Heels have announced they will stand for election. AB was thanked for his support over the years.

Q was asked if Stirling Council have plans to help with the recycling of soft plastic instead of residents having to recycle at stores of CoOp, Tesco and Sainsburys.

Q- was asked around would the bridge be open soon for pedestrians allowing access to the woods. The answer was not for now.


NP are planning a hybrid system for staff working from home from March onwards. Board meeting will be held in person in March 22 – noted that it has been two years since last in person meeting held in Mar 20.

Board members will be significantly changing at the election. Local Park elections are in June and Council elections are in May.

9. Outstanding points from last meeting


Update from Maria Lucey, Team Leader – Operations (Bridges, Drainage and Flooding)

All required survey and ground investigation works have taken place. It has been determined that the existing arch remains fit for use and therefore the preferred route will be a traditional take down to arch and rebuild. Extensive Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) has taken place following publication of a PIN notice on Public Contract Scotland. A number of interested contractors attended both onsite meetings followed by online workshops. Design for repair work including compilation of design drawings and tender package is ongoing and we anticipate to have a complete design by the end of this month. Close engagement is taking place with the 3 utility providers who utilise the structure, trial holes to determine exact utility locations of apparatus have now taken place on site in conjunction with utility providers. Utility providers have been asked to provide temporary protection to their asset ahead of completion of design for diversion. Ongoing discussing are still underway with Nature Scotland and Loch Lomond and Trossachs Planning Team. Our preference would be to commission works which would not trigger a planning application.


Bridge discussions

Things are slowly happening.

Agree to the design by the end of the month. Contractor 4 weeks after that. Poss May/June to start Option One to be same as now to save planning.

Option Two to include a footpath

Dalnair have to still install their Footpath per their planning approvals. Utilities- they are still waiting on these being bypassed.

Since the parapet fell no further damage has happened – so why cant we have some footpath. Reason given for no is that the utilities need to do their bit first.

Single walkway is definitely not an option for now. An environmental report still has to be done.

Feelings of local residents and businesses has not been taken into account.

In relation to a Q asked, WN confirmed that if the council have already had their meeting to allocate the funding – the funding decision should not be changed because of the elections. Opportunity for elected to be encouraged to highlight this as part of their new manifesto.

Participation Request – 20-21-002 Pavements & 20.2.003 Speeding. Quote has been sought for the scraping back of the pavements within the village but no further update has been given.

10. Correspondence Received

Upcoming Engagement Events from Forth Environment Link as part of the 20 Minute Neighbourhood rural pilot.

· Wednesday 9th February

Event - Sensory Mapping (ideal for people with hearing or sight loss) Sensory mapping is a simple, flexible technique that identifies sensory highlights with a view to creating inclusive and engaging visitor experiences.

Drymen starts at 12:00

Book for free here: https://sensorymappingdrymen.eventbrite.co.uk In association with Forth Valley Sensory Centre

· Wednesday 9th February

Q&A - Living Well Locally: Active Travel Plan update - Drymen Active Travel plan as a live example with Q&A

Online: 18:30 – 19:30

Details and free booking here: https://livingwelllocallyactivetravel.eventbrite.co.uk

· Thursday 10th February

Q&A - Living Well Locally: Explaining the 20 Minute Neighbourhood , with Drymen Place Plan live example and discussion

Online: 18:30 – 19:30

Details and free booking here: https://explaining20minuteneighbourhoods.eventbrite.co.uk


· Sunday 19th February

Climate Literacy talk - increase your knowledge around the climate and nature emergency and the positive actions we can take

Drymen Community Garden (start time TBC) Delivered by The Hub G63

· Sunday 27th February

Led ride – Cycle Bus between Balmaha and Croftamie - sociable ride, and discussion with refreshments

Balmaha Visitor Centre - 10.00 (Starting point)

- Milton of Buchanan - 11.00

- Buchanan Smithy - 11.15

- Buchanan Castle - 11.30

- Drymen - The Village Square 11.45

- Croftamie - The But and Ben 12.30 (Finishing Point)

Details and free booking here: https://cyclebusbalmahacroftamie.eventbrite.co.uk

11. Any Other Business –

Concern for residents who have to have to divert 74 miles extra to get to work a week. Q- are residents entitled to any compensation?

Feeling is that the Council have not maintained the bridge and allowed the water ingress. Action to AB- was there compensation paid to the businesses when the Ballat bridge was closed. Difference is that it is a Scottish Water bridge.

Election will give the opportunities to discuss with candidates.

New minister for the National Parks in Scotland, Lorna Slater from the Green party.

Affecting Summer business trading and tourism.

Q- how can residents get to the right people in the Council. Thanks to Chris Holt for his input which has been invaluable.

Google maps shows closure- but the diversion is up the back Gartocharn road. Action for AB- how to update the Sat Navs

Bruce Reekie- to provide an update this week to Councillors and then the residents.

AB has tried to put pressure on the Administration. Q- should we produce a letter for everyone to sign?

WN Its in the officials hands – and not progressed by Apr May then perhaps write a letter of protest then.

Review at our March meeting and decide then.

If we can provide negligence or neglect – they will have to respond. Council were aware of the water ingress.

Local businesses – may have disruption of insurance clauses.


Branshogle bridge- work has started. Expect to have it open by May.

Q WN – would Bruce Reekie come to the community meeting? Request was made for a Volunteer to update the website regularly.

Confirmation of next Meeting –Wednesday 9.03.2022 Commencing at 7.30 pm – on Zoom

(Hoping to have the April meeting in person- venue to be confirmed)

Appendix- letter written to Evelyn Tweed MSP

Croftamie Community Council wrote to you in October 2021 about the closures of the A Class road the A809 through our village.

Which we received a response from your administrator/secretary that you where aware of it as it had been raised by various individuals effected by the disruption of it closer & a near 20 mile round trip diversion.

Four months + on we are still in limbo.

You highlighted in the Annual Report the important of supporting business. Also acknowledging the fact the LL&TNP is on our doorstep and is important to Stirling. What is your plans to resolve our growing issues with the bridge closure. In case you are not aware Croftamie is a Gateway village to the park.

An extra 100 miles travel a week it an additional cost burden the working commuting local residents are having to taken on in a time when all costs are escalating. Added on to reach basic services , food, health and more the cost mounts up!

How or what can you do to support our local business struggling to thrive when their Customer can’t pass their door so decide to travel to a different locations and business. This is not just for Croftamie business’s but Drymen & Balmaha also.

We want a working infrastructure which is not a big ask considering it is an A Class road . Some of the smaller B & C class roads in the surrounding area are almost not worth risking your car but locals still have to do so to get anywhere as we are cut off with no public transport substandard pavements & paths.

Our next meeting is on Wednesday evening a response would be useful. Our Community are looking for action not words

Margaret Firth – Chair Croftamie Community Council

We’ve removed some links from this page because they’re no longer active. You can still find these links in the PDF version.