Mar 2022 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format

Alan Booth Secretary

Woodlea, Perth Road Dunblane

FK15 0BU

Tel: 01786824791

David Prescott

Chair Broomfield Smithy Loan FK15 0HQ

Tel: 01786 822848


Minutes of the meeting of the Dunblane Community Council held on Wednesday, 2 March, 2022, at 7 p.m. via Zoom.


Present: David Prescott (Chairman), Alan Booth (Secretary), Chris Toop (Treasurer), Sharon Mylchreest, Karen Jenkins, Rosemary Hunter, Andy Mitchell, Graham Mowat, Fiona Plumtree, Ailsa Gray.

In attendance: Councillors Graham Houston and Douglas Dodds, Steve Mason, Bridget Clark, Glenda Carruthers, Mairi Santolin, Morag Sorbie, Alix Donaldson, Rebecca Foster, Margaret Bragg (Minutes Secretary).

1. Apologies

Apologies have been received from Councillor Tollemache and Craig French.

2. Chairman's Remarks, Conflicts of interest

The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting and noted there was no Press attendance. This meeting is held via Zoom under Stirling Council's revised Amendments to the Community Council Establishment arrangements.

3. Approval of minutes of 2 February 2022

These were approved, proposed by Graham Mowat and seconded by Alan Booth.

4. Standing items and actions from previous meetings: See attached. Anchorscross fence (See Minutes September 2021.) The Chairman invited Alix Donaldson to give an update. The issue of the erection of a metal fence across an established right of way was raised with Stirling Council. This has blocked a path well-used by walkers and cyclists, forcing them to use the Old Doune Road which is a busier and, therefore, more dangerous route, especially for schoolchildren. Stirling Council has now identified the owner of the land as Barrett Homes Ltd, who were unaware of the fence's erection, and is working with them to secure its removal. Alix


Donaldson referred to the Land Reform (Scotland) Act of 2003 which gave people the right to roam. The landowner or Council would be responsible if people who still use this route over the fence came to harm.

Morag Sorbie expressed frustration that it has taken the Council so long to identify the landowner. In the meantime, the "walking bus" to the primary school has had to be suspended and primary and secondary pupils are crowding the narrow pavement of the Old Doune Road at the same time walking in different directions.

The Chairman noted that Councillor Tollemache has been involved in resolving this issue, with the community council representing the wider interests of the community. Councillor Houston said that it was a pity that the other side of the argument has not been represented - residents who had problems with traffic when children were dropped off by parents - but agreed that it is now designated a right of way and needs to be maintained. It was noted that there is a long history of the route being used and Bridget Clark informed the meeting that the route appeared on the Green Travel Map, in which she was involved. Rosemary Hunter enquired what the liability of the landowner is if the fence is re-erected in future. The Chairman noted that there is a wider issue to be addressed, of strips of land left by developers, who do not take responsibility for maintaining them, although still owning them. It would have been easier if the Council had taken over ownership of the land. He asked Councillor Houston to raise this with both the Council's Planning and Legal Departments and he agreed to do so. Action: Councillor Houston.


Cycle routes and Active Travel, including Living Streets There was a discussion over the redesign of cycle lanes on the B8033 (see Minutes December 2021). Bridget Clark reported that the Council is going to repurpose the shared space on the carriageway with new signage to warn car drivers that they are sharing space with cyclists. There will be definitive signage and enforcement of the 20 mph limit. This will be delayed until Scottish Water has completed its work. The Chairman noted that there will be car door buffer zones along the car parking lanes on the B8033 mainly used by commuters, whose vehicles are parked all day, whereas on the road outside the Co- op, for example, there are no such zones and cars are moving in an out of parking spots all day.

Gritting of roads and footpaths and gully cleaning A paper has already been circulated, reporting on gully cleaning and the Council's response to winter weather. After recent snow, the town centre was gritted only after intervention and new grit bins have not been delivered. The Chairman reported that the gullies were being cleared but were not tested afterwards and still overflow when it rains as the pipes are blocked.. In particular, due to the lack of regular maintenance, autumn leaves are still being washed down the drains and causing blockages. He complained that, although concerns have been raised repeatedly, little progress has been made. Councillor Houston agreed that it is not perfect, but stated that at least some actions were being taken. Graham Mowat reported that the drains at Dunblane Primary School are blocked, causing the path on to the Doune Road to be impassable and forcing children to walk on the grass verges. The Chairman urged councillors to notify the Council of any sites where there is flooding.


Scottish Water It is hoped that the work in Claredon Place will be completed by April. Work on Springfield Terrace will result in traffic being diverted along George Street and the suggestion that George Street residents would be given free parking in the lower Tesco car park has been vetoed by the Council. It is foreseen that George Street will prove difficult with cars parked and traffic speeding along it. The 20 mph speed restriction should be enforced rigorously, possibly with speed bumps, especially as there is a playpark.

Stirling Marathon The Secretary has not had a reply to his invitation for a representative to attend this meeting. A Press release is coming out shortly. The Chairman stressed the urgency of putting measures in place to avoid cutting off residents living on the west side of Dunblane for hours, as happened in previous years. The Council should consult with the community council on this and not present an unaccetable agreed plan.

Defibrillators in Dunblane Steve Mason has circulated a paper and list of machines in the town. He thanked Loraine Cowie for drawing up a map of the location of defibrillators. Of the 28 in Dunblane, 9 are independently owned, and 19 are public access defibrillators whose future funding is in doubt. One case is empty, 7 sets of pads are out of date with another 5 going out of date during this year. To fund a defibrillator costs £150 a year and Steve Mason and the community council expressed their thanks to those organisations who have agreed to take over the funding of 15 defibrillators. Of the remaining four, either funding has to be sought elsewhere or removal has to be considered.

Glenda Carruthers from the Newton Parent Council reported that she and representatives from the other primary schools have met Steve Mason to discuss longer-term funding for the defibrillators at the four schools in Dunblane, which will cost in the region of £2,500 to cover five years' maintenance. They agreed to apply to the Common Good Fund through the community council, as applications will be considered by the Civic Panel only if they have community support. The Chairman pointed out that this is the first application the council has dealt with and that funds are very limited. Careful consideration will be given as to how to deal with this. The Treasurer reminded the meeting that there is a robust process in place for dealing with applications to the Windfarm grant and suggested the community council followed something similar. It was also suggested that the schools apply to the Windfarm Grant for funding later in the year.

Morag Sorbie from Dunblane Primary Parent Council felt it was unfair to ask schools which have limited funds to support the maintenance of defibrillators. She thanked Glenda Carruthers for taking up this issue, and the Chairman added his appreciation on behalf of the community council.

Future of the Burgh Chambers Steve Mason updated the community council on the report he gave at last month's meeting. He confirmed that the Headteacher at the High School has fully endorsed and supported the proposal for a Digital Makerspace. He outlined two future strands: (a) to prevent the Burgh Chambers being sold off and for the Burgh Chambers Development Group to either succeed in transferring ownership to it or to lease it (this will take up to two years at least); (b) a Community


Interest Company, Creative Dunblane, will, in the meantime, be leading on the development of the Makerspace and organising events and activities in the building. He thanked the community council for its help towards the £42,000 required and acknowledged that raising the total is going to be complex. With the involvement of the schools a new way of developing the projects has been opened up, not just for young people but for the whole community. Both Alan Booth and Sharon Mylchreest, although reassured at the support of the High School, expressed concerns. In relation to the use of the DYPP (Dunblane Young People's Project) fund, Alan Booth questioned how it could be split between helping young people with the digital equipment, for example by employing a technician, and helping the rest of the community. Sharon Mylchreest noted that schools can apply for funding for such equipment on school premises to the Digital Inclusion Fund, which she thought would make more sense. She was also concerned about the criteria for identifying the children the DYPP was originally designed to reach - those who were disengaged from the community. She felt there were other projects better suited to dealing with disaffected young people and she also asked if the money was ring-fenced for a couple of years until a properly worked-out business plan were in place. Steve Mason replied that the High School understood the issues and he felt it would be advantageous for young people to meet away from school premises and be involved in the Makerspace with different members of the community.

The Secretary gave a brief outline of the history of the DYPP and how the fund has been used. Councillor Houston felt this project would benefit those children who found it hard to join in and the Chairman commented that it would provide a real opportunity for inter-generation links with older people as they developed new skills. This would be an opportunity to build something longer-lasting and ultimately self-supporting in the Burgh Chambers. Sharon Mylchreest still expressed concerns that the original aims of the Community Wellbeing Champions Initiative were not being met. The Treasurer has looked through the documentation relating to the DYPP fund and supports its use for this project.

The Chairman noted Sharon Mylchreest's disquiet and said it was important that the background to the fund was well understood and that it is incumbent on the group to respect the source of the funding. Steve Mason commented that the High School is enthusiastic about the project but acknowledged that the logistics will not be easy. The Chairman thanked him for attending.

The Chairman noted that the agenda item "Dunblane High School/DYPP update" will not be on future agendas

Participatory Based Budgeting projects The Chairman reported that work on the toilets in the Burgh Chambers has started.

Cathedral Burial Ground Andy Mitchell has been in contact with Jessica Hunnisett from Historic Environment Scotland and reported that any progress is very slow. A list has been provided of graves where family owners are being sought.

5. Future meetings


Graham Mowat has contacted Stephen Bly (Community Link Officer, Stirling Council) for advice on running "blended" meetings. The Council will not provide specialist equipment and if the community council were to buy any, this would come out of its Administration Grant. It is possible that some venues might have their own equipment which could be rented along with the hire of the venue, and the cost of this could come out of the Administration Grant. Graham Mowat agreed to enquire of the Braeport Centre, St Mary's church hall and the Queen Victoria school if this were possible. He agreed to ask Steven Bly if the Council would cover the cost of hiring venues and equipment. Action: Graham Mowat.


6. Police Report: See attached.

7. Planning Report: See attached.

Firs of Kinbuck The Reporter is going to make an unaccompanied site visit.

Blairforkie (Bridge of Allan) The Secretary is going to submit an objection. Bridget Clark has also submitted an objection citing the unstable geology of the site, with the possibility of sink holes opening up. She also felt that the development will bring increased traffic to Glen Road.

Victoria Park - Miller Homes The Chairman confirmed that the bus stop is now in place, and that Councillors Tollemache and Houston are looking into the efficacy of Travel Plans.

Park of Keir There is an application for the removal of a Section 75 on adjacent land in the Green Belt. The Chairman called on the Council to be resolute in preserving the whole area.

8. Treasurer's Report: See attached.

The Treasurer noted that the main expenditure has been the disbursement of the SSEN grant (Scottish and Southern Electricity Network Community Resilience Fund) to cover the cost of workshops to develop creative skills and positive wellbeing for those finding it difficult to cope after the pandemic.

Through Stirling Council, he is in the process of renewing the community council's public liability insurance to cover its assets: the phone box at the bottom of the Old Doune Road and the noticeboard. He has asked for a quote to cover community councillors using their private cars on council business.

9. Correspondence Report: See attached.

10. Dunblane Development Trust Report

The Secretary reported that the DDT held an extraordinary meeting to discuss the possible purchase of the Burgh Chambers by the Burgh Chambers Development Group under the auspices of the DDT. It was felt that they did not have enough information at this point and decided to step back from the project. The DDT had become involved in this at the beginning as a stop-gap measure to prevent the sale of the Burgh Chambers by the Council and to give more time to investigate the possibility of using the building in other ways. The project is now being taken


forward by the Burgh Chambers Development Group and Creative Dunblane, as reported earlier in this meeting.

11. Report of other meetings: There was none.

12. Elected Members' Reports

Councillor Houston informed the meeting that the Council budget, due to be approved the following day, will include £35,000 for an upgrade to Newton playpark. This will include improving the drainage, even though the land is not owned by the Council.

13. AOCB

The Secretary raised the issue of the Common Good Fund, having already circulated a list and map of sites round Dunblane, which he will forward to the Council. Questions were raised about property already lost prior to being identified as Common Good, and it was agreed that if they had been sold the money raised should be returned to the Common Good Fund for Dunblane.

The Chairman intimated that he intended to stand down as Chairman at the next AGM in June, although he was still willing to remain as a councillor if the new Chairman were amenable. He felt that especially after the long-running and ultimately unsuccessful challenge to the Park of Keir development, including leading the successful appeal at the Public Enquiry, it was time for a change.

14. Date, time and place of next meeting

The next meeting of the Dunblane community council will take place on Wednesday, 6 April, 2022, by Zoom.

The meeting ended at 9.20 p.m.

This is a true representation of the meeting.

David Prescott ………………………………………….. Date ………………………………….. Chairman

Alan Booth ……………………………………………… Date ………………………………….. Secretary


Dunblane Community Council

Additional Paper for Zoom Meeting - Wednesday 2nd March 2022

Agenda item 4


d) Cycle Routes and Active Travel including Living Streets Update AB and including Anchorscross - Chair

e) Road and footway gritting – Chair

k) Stirling Marathon - Diana Quintanacatano

b) Defibrillators – update – Steve Mason Separate Paper – attached

Please note that an application for Common Good funding from the four council run schools has been made and we will need to consider this. Sum requested £2538 to cover 5 years

a) Future of Burgh Chambers - Steve Mason

c) Dunblane High School / DYPP project update


f) A9 Safety – AG

g) Priority Budgeting - Work is in progress


h) Cathedral Burial Ground – AM


j) Action items - if not on the agenda – None




David Prescott Chair Dunblane Community Council 1 March 2022







Police Service of Scotland

Community Council Meeting

Community Council:



March 2022

Officer completing:

PC 775 Paul Gilliland

Email address:

Introduction / synopsis of previous month:

This report should provide sufficient information regarding police activity since the last community council meeting. If you have any further questions about the police report or any incidents that you are aware of that are not included in this report then please email us direct on the above email address and we will answer your questions.

If anyone has any information on any incidents that we have been unable to identify a suspect then please let us know by email, 101 or by contacting Crime stoppers.

The report encompasses all relevant crime and matters of note which have occurred between the 1st February and 1st March 2022 inclusive.

Please note police will not be participating in the meeting.



Main Report:

Between the 1st February and 1st March 2022, a total of 7 crimes occurred within the Dunblane area. The crimes detailed below are those that are of relevance to the local community.



None to report.



None reported.



None reported.



In the early hours of 2nd of February a male was disturbed within a property at Springfield Court, Dunblane. The male was subsequently arrested, charged and held in custody for various with offences including Theft, Section 57(1) Civic Government Scotland Act 1982 and Possession of a Controlled Drug.

Sometime between the 8th and 9th February a quantity of fuel was stolen from fuel containers located in the Sheriffmuir area. This has been crimed as Theft by Opening Lock fast Place and no suspects have been identified at this time, PS- 20220210-1096 refers.

On the 11th of February lead was discovered missing from the roof space at a Lodge House in Perth Road, Dunblane. This has occurred sometime between December 2021 and the aforementioned date in February. It is currently crimed as Theft and is an ongoing enquiry at the time of submission, PS20220211-1946 refers.



Sometime between the 7th and 8th February a wall of a residential property at Cromlix Crescent, Dunblane sustained accident damage having been struck by a vehicle. This has been crimed as Fail to Stop after Accident and is an ongoing enquiry at the time of submission, PS-20220209-0686 refers.

On the 27th February a road accident occurred at Perth Road, Dunblane whereby a vehicle was shunted by another vehicle. One of the drivers was under the influence of alcohol and will be reported to the Fiscal in relation to Drink Driving.









Dunblane Community Council

Planning Report - Major Issues – to end February 2022



Glassingall – Proposal of Application Notice – Demolition and fire at Glassingall House.

Nothing further to report. Park of Keir – Next Stages. No change

Firs of Kinbuck 19/00243/PPP

One of the conditions required by Stirling Council (should it be approved at appeal) is a pedestrian crossing approved by Transport Scotland – noting the TS approved option. DCC to write to TS

Reporter’s decision is due in March. Douglas Place/Hillside 21/01072/FUL Objection submitted

Blairforkie (Bridge of Allan) 22/00042/FUL

Objection to be submitted

Victoria Park – Miller Homes

Bus stop now in place – still needs notice case – to be provided

Travel Plan – Councillors Houston and Tollemache are taking this forward as a wider issue

Wider development proposals

No further information

David Prescott 1 March 2022


Dunblane Community Council

Treasurer’s Report

02- Mar-22

DCC account 00347702

Total Account balance last report

End Dec



Committed b not paid.





SPEN COVID-19 creative wellbeing initiative.




DCC Minutes Jan




Remaining balance by fund


DCC administration




Project fund








Community view fund




Total Balance




Balance in Bank account £9,970.48


1. Accounts for 21/22 account now reviewed and approved.

2. No meeting in July or Jan 22

3. DCC admin grant paid in Oct.

4. Added a column to call out any expenditure committed but not yet paid.

Chris Toop Treasurer