June 2021 Minutes

Adopted minutes of meeting held on 16 June 2021




Members present Heidi Bryce, Caroline Carrick, Andrew Donaldson,

Susie Henderson, Elizabeth Jones, Hilary McGregor,
Jim Ptolomey (Chair), Fiona Rennie


Apologies Euan Shaw, Police Scotland


In attendance Doug Ashworth, Cllr Rob Davies, Carlyn Fraser SC,

Graeme Fraser KCFC, Cllr Jane Hutchison,
Susan McDougall SC,

25 members of the public,

Christine Bauwens (Minute Secretary)


How to contact us Go to www.killearncc.org.uk and click on contact button.


Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the KCC meeting on 16 June 2021 was held
via Zoom.




The minutes were accepted as a true record of the meeting.




There were no matters arising from the minutes.




As Police Scotland was unable to attend the meeting, due to it being held via Zoom,
Fiona presented the following Police Report:


  • Reports of persons within the grounds of Killearn Primary School. Police attended
    and moved a group of youths on. There was no damage reported by the school.

  • Police attended a house party in Killearn and cleared the party.

  • Ongoing illegal parking at Finnich Glen with police and SC enforcement officers
    issuing tickets.

  • Speed checks again carried out in Killearn.

  • Another report of theft by shoplifting at Killearn Co-op. It is thought to have been
    carried out by the same person as previous who was reported to the Procurator
    Fiscal. Enquiries are ongoing into this recent case.

  • Tractor stolen from a farm near Ballikinrain. Please be vigilant and contact Police
    if anything suspicious is seen.

    The full police report is available on KCC website www.killearncc.org.uk




    CC1075 – KCFC UPDATE

    Adopted minutes of meeting held on 16 June 2021


    Graeme reported on the very successful launch of the Killearn Heritage Trail which
    attracted a lot of interest from local residents. Killearn Primary School also engaged their
    pupils with course work, activities and displays around local history. Thanks were
    expressed to all those involved in the project.


    Graeme congratulated the family at Killearn’s ‘The Moss’ which was crowned this week
    as Scotland's Home of the Year 2021.


    Graeme explained about the difficulty in planning the annual Fireworks Display because
    of coronavirus restrictions. KCFC will keep everyone up to date as matters progress.


    CC1076 – BROADBAND


    Doug spoke about the SBVS voucher scheme for the proposed Fixed Wireless Internet
    Service and the BT switchover to Digital Voice. Residents are directed to
    http://www.killearncc.org.uk/kbg-killearn.html for further information pertaining to the BT
    switchover process particularly if you have a burglar alarm, use a health pendant or need
    to call 999.


    CC1077 – PLANNING


    Planning Schedule


  • Valid Planning Applications Received


    21/00439/FUL Construction of a Tank to Store Cattle Slurry at Claylands, Fintry

    No comment.


    21/00478/FUL Single Storey Rear and Side Extension, New Porch and Rear
    Decking at 36 Allan Road, Killearn G63 9 RE

    No comment.


  • Decisions of Appointed Officers

    20/00057/FUL Erection of 16 No Flats with Associated Amenity Space and Private
    Parking at The Killearn Hotel, 2 The Square, Killearn G63 9NG

    Approve Subject to Section 75 Agreement.

    21/00340/FUL Dormer Extension to Dwelling House at 7 Gartness Mill Cottages,
    DrymenG63 0NJ


    21/00308/FUL Extend a Portion of an Existing Fence to a Height of 2m in Front
    Garden at 31 Lampson Road, Killearn G63 9LT


    21/00313/FUL Extension to Dwelling House, Alteration to Roof to form Dormer
    and Formation of Attached Ancillary Accommodation at Daavar, Endrick Road,
    Killearn G63 9QD

    Approve with Conditions.

    21/00210/FUL Change of use to Class 1 and Class 3 including internal alterations
    to create an internal mezzanine and a new window to the North East gable at Adopted minutes of meeting held on 16 June 2021


    Turnip The Beet, Unit Oak, 4 Killearn Mill, Killearn G63 9LQ
    Approve with Conditions.


  • Planning Applications Withdrawn

    21/00258/FUL First Floor Extension and Conversion of Stables Building from
    Residential Care Unit to 4 Number Private Residential Units at Land and Stables
    at Ballikinrain School, Fintry

    21/00259 Ditto for Listed Building Consent.


    Jim informed the meeting that discussion is ongoing with SC Planning Department
    regarding the proposed erection of a house in Graham Road, Killearn.


    David Young (Jnr) spoke to the meeting regarding the felling and restructuring proposals
    for Station Wood. Agreed with Scottish Forestry, these will preserve and improve
    biodiversity whilst achieving the sustainable production of high quality timber and forest
    by-products. All operations will be undertaken in accordance with the UK Forestry
    Standard and in line with all relevant guidance. It is hoped to begin work from

    31 July 2021 after the bird nesting season. Station Road, its pavement and other hazards
    have been identified and measures will be implemented during felling to minimise
    disruption and damage.


    Other Planning Matters


  • Former Killearn Hospital Site

    SC and CALA are in discussion regarding responsibility for upgrading the
    pavement on Station Road. CALA hope to purchase the development site in
    August and begin work on the pavement in December.

  • Development of Former Killearn Hotel

    There has been a slight delay in progress because of discovery of a bat and a
    bird’s nest within the site. It is hoped demolition will begin in July 2021.

  • RSHA Development at Lampson Road


    As there is no further information on this development, it was agreed KCC write to
    RSHA to enquire about progress. (Action JP)



    Jim welcomed Susan McDougall and Carlyn Fraser of SC to the meeting to discuss the
    new 20 mph scheme for Killearn.


    It was explained that this scheme will be a trial for 18 months, after which consultation will
    take place to determine whether to continue or abandon the scheme. Traffic volume and
    speed data will be collected. In the meantime, an additional £80K has been allocated for
    the Killearn area to improve infrastructure and consultation on proposals will be
    conducted in conjunction with KCC.


    Following discussion from the floor, it was agreed KCC put the following points in writing
    to Carlyn Fraser for consideration:


    Adopted minutes of meeting held on 16 June 2021


  • Extend 20 mph down Station Road. Consideration to be given to school children
    queuingand using buses.

  • Extend 20 mph beyond mini roundabout at Main Street/Branziert Road to assist
    driversexiting a dangerous junction.

  • 40 mph buffer zone for 600m south of the 30 mph boundary on A875 where there
    are two entrances to farms.

  • Highlight inconsistency with other village’s 20 mph zones resulting in driver

  • Not enough 20 mph signs to alert drivers to new speed limit. Request larger signs
    at entry points to village explaining new scheme.

  • Urgent need for pedestrian crossing on Main Street near Outdoor Classroom and

  • Provision of cycle parking outside Co-op.

  • Problem of drivers parking on pavement outside Co-op.

  • Consideration to be given to local economy of the area with commercial traffic and
    impact 20 mph will have on this. Possible consideration of by-pass route avoiding

  • Cycle path on Station Road.

  • Uncertainty around removing central line in Station Road which could result in

    (Action JP)


    The bridge at Boquhan Burn near Branshoggle on the B818 was again discussed and
    KCC requested that SC treat this with utmost priority.




    Cllr Davies and Cllr Hutchison reported on the following:


  • Confirmation of the closure of Strathendrick Care Home as part of the wider
    proposals for changes to the social care structures This closure is despite all three
    local councillors being against this decision.

  • Outbreak of COVID in Stirling now under control.

  • New IT system for SC has been approved.

  • Vote of no confidence in SC administration to be taken on Thursday 17 June.

  • Public meeting to be held via Microsoft Teams to discuss Branshoggle Bridge.
    Please contact Cllr Hutchison for further information at
    hutchisonja@stirling.gov.uk. Local residents can contact Maria Lucey of SC at
    luceym@stirling.gov.uk to discuss the situation regarding the bridge further.


Adopted minutes of meeting held on 16 June 2021




There was no Treasurer’s Report given at the meeting.




A local resident raised the issue of the rapidly spreading pontium in the copse above
Lettre Farm. It was agreed KCC contact Edmonstone Estate regarding this. (Action JP)


Further to a recent report in The Stirling Observer, a Glasgow company plans to
undertake football training for four days a week throughout the summer. KCC to write
requesting more information about this. (Action JP)


Following a complaint about litter being left in the park after recent football matches, it
was agreed KCC write to the Football Team about same. It was also noted there are
discarded goal posts near to Arnold Clark’s property which need to be removed.
(Action JP)




There was no further correspondence brought to the meeting.




Three was no other business for discussion.




The next KCC meeting is scheduled for 15 September 2021 at 8.00 pm. Details will be
confirmed nearer the time.


The meeting ended at 9.42 pm.