Nov 2021 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format

Public Meeting Minutes Date – 24th November 2021

Members Present In Attendance Apologies

Fiona Berrow Di Alderdice Phil Boydell

Bob Dale Andrew Fraser Fiona Dyet

Sue Dumbleton David Sherman Sandra Engstrom

Emily McLaughlin Danny Gibson

Joan Murphy Alison Swanson

Ashleigh Phillip

Carol Robertson Residents: 8

1) Welcome and record of attendance

Chair Joan Murphy welcomed the eight residents attending, in addition to those Members and Associates listed above.

2) Declarations of Interest

No Declaration of Interest was recorded.

3) Matters Arising from previous minutes not to be addressed within the meeting


Lovers Walk, Lovers Walk Flooding and Bins on Forth Street are all ongoing issues with nothing to report this month.

4) Approval of Previous Minutes


Minutes for October were adopted

Ashleigh Phillips proposed; Fiona Berrow seconded

5) Reports


a) Chair



James the Postie

James, Riverside’s postman of 18 years was overwhelmed by kindness of people from Riverside to him. A gathering was held on the 4 th November to say good bye, thank you and give him a card and gift. Joan Murphy spoke to him as he was finishing his final shift and he was delighted with many more thank you gifts.

At his presentation he said “This could only happen in Riverside – the people have been amazing,”

Happiest Place to live In Scotland – Stirling was voted the happiest place to live in Scotland (and 6 th in the whole of the UK) from a poll by Rightmove of 21,000 people across the UK. This came as no surprise to anyone in Riverside!

Riverside Naturally – was recognised by Keep Scotland Beautiful and Royal Horticultural Society for their outstanding efforts to enhance our local area.

Link with Stirling Observer – Riverside Community Council is very grateful to Gillian Armstrong for volunteering to be a link to the Stirling Observer to increase our non digital presence in Riverside. We are aiming for a weekly item and have started a monthly schedule.

Meeting Venue – Due to the vulnerability of the service users of the Riverbank Centre the facilities are not being made available to the Community Council at this time. This may be reviewed in the springtime. The location of our next meeting is still to be decided.

Christmas events

· Riverside Ceilidh Band - 28th November2021 at the Abbey Road Market

  • Advent windows starting on 1st December - 70 households are signed up to date

· Quiz and Karaoke – Lawn Bowling - 4th December 2021 – SOLD OUT

  • Neighbourhood Walk - 5th December 2021 and 9 th January 2022

· Christmas Market 5th and 12th December 2021

  • Festive Concert – 19th December 2021 at 3pm

· Christmas Parcels for older people

· Santa Breakfast for younger members of the community - Saturday 18 th December 9am (tickets available from Abbey Road Market

b) Secretary



Police Report

There was nothing to report however it was noted that they are aware and monitoring the parking situation around the school and have spoken to people in the area about this matter.

The Police Inspector is looking at the process of how the community officers report to the community council and is looking for our opinion on whether a less standardised, more personal report each month, consisting of what activity and engagement has been going on in our area.


Space for People – COVID temporary measures review – Stirling Council are looking for views on the


temporary measures and whether you feel these interventions should be made permanent. In Riverside this refers to the temporary 20mph limit. This consultation runs until 10th December 2021.

Common Good Register - Stirling Council is creating a Register of Common Goods which is properties held by former Scottish burghs. They want to increase transparency about what Common Good assets are, and get residents involved in decisions they take about them. Stirling Council would like to hear your views on any of the proposed Common Good assets. They would also like to know if there are any other land or property assets which is felt should be included in the register. Closing Date: 14th December 2021


Greener Options for Longer Travel – Stirling Council feels that to tackle climate change they need to look at longer distance bus and rail connections, and the Park and Ride/Park and Choose provision as well as active travel . Closing Date: 24th December 2021 approx


Further consultations can be found here.

The following has been logged with Stirling Council for attention:

Cambuskenneth Bridge – the netting underneath is in disrepair and no longer functions

Benches along Forthside – There is an issue with ownership but it is recognised that this needs to be addressed and made safe.

Dropped Kerb Waverley Park – Riverside Community Council has requested that the kerb opposite the accessible entrance to the park be lowered to allow access for wheelchair users and those with mobility issues.


Empowering Communities Fund: 2023-2026 – Application entry from March 2022

The ICF Fund aims to support community anchor organisations based in the places they serve by delivering activity across the following four areas for action in our most disadvantaged and fragile communities across Scotland:

tackling poverty and inequality; sustaining place-based approaches; community-led regeneration; ensuring a just transition to net zero.”

Scottish Water is encouraging customers in communities across Scotland to prepare their homes for winter. Their winter advice advises anyone with a home, holiday home or business premises to take action to heat, insulate and protect their properties.

Visit where you can find winter information, films and advice and further information can be found online about your pipework responsibilities here.

Stirling’s Hogmanay 2021 – Stirling Council has released it’s programme of festive activities. Fireworks will be at the National Wallace Monument and not at Stirling Castle. Bob Dale will be operating the drones filming this display.

Disabled Parking Bays Forrest Road – Objection by the 8th of December

You can visit the Scottish Government’s Tell Me website for further public notices.


Schedule of Meetings – 2022

26th January 2022

23th February 2022

30th March 2022

27th April 2022

25th May 2022 – AGM

29th June 2022

31st August 2022

28th September 2022

26th October 2022

30th October 2022

c) Treasurer

This month we paid to hire Riverside Bowling Club as a venue for our October meeting (£30) and we transferred the remaining £5.52 from the Scotland Loves Local (SLL) funding to Riverside Naturally (we applied for the SLL funding partly for Riverside Naturally and partly for the community planters).

Admin Grant Query – Fiona Berrow highlighted a problem with the timing of the payment of the admin grant. The admin grant money is for the financial year (April-March) but the money is received in September. Therefore there is a problem if we have spent all the admin grant money by the end of the financial year, then we don't get any more money until September, however if we don’t spend it we get less the following year. The discussion is ongoing.

d) Planning Delegated Decisions:

Enforcement Enquiry - EN/19/151/AMENIT Issue: Unkempt condition of land and buildings Address: James Street, Edward Road, Stirling,

A member of the community raised the point that there is insufficient information on the decision process regarding this area and there is no explanation as to why this ruling was made.

You can visit Stirling Council’s Planning Portal for further planning information.

You can visit the Scottish Government’s Tell Me website for further licencing information.

6) Sub-Groups


a) Active Travel and Sustainable Transport


Accessibility – all people powered travel, looking for a new subgroup with people who are excited about moving happily and safely around Riverside.

Gritting Policy – Actions points

• discuss the policy for adoption

• continue to ask Stirling Council for a supply of grit when there is an extended period of colder weather for local residents to use to help neighbours

• look for other paths that may benefit from regular gritting and approach Stirling Council for


further assistance

b) Christmas Parcels


Joan Murphy gave thanks to Ann Graham and the over 60’s group there are now 40 households receiving parcels which will be delivered the weekend before Christmas.

P2 of Riverside Primary will once again making the Christmas Cards that will be placed in the bags. Parcel group have met once and will meet again on 25th November to plan a list of items we are looking for.

There are already a number of donations promised but if anyone would the list of suggested donations please contact or phone Joan Murphy on 07958 235596.

c) Community Resilience Plan


Sandra Engstrom has approached the Scottish Flood Forum regarding a face-to-face presentation.

d) Defibrillators


Riverside Advent Calendar will be starting again on the 1st of December raising funds for the three lithium defibrillator batteries that need replaced at a cost of £720. The map of participating households can be found here

The defibrillator group encourages those who take part and those who enjoy the windows to donate here .

e) Environment


COP26 Riverside Primary School – Fiona Berrow, Emily McLaughlin and Carol Robertson met with the P4’s of Riverside Primary school to speak about Riverside Community Council’s environmental activities. Discussions included: what makes a resilient community, what things they would like to see in Waverley Park and what could be done help people chose active travel on the journey to school. An action plan involving the pupils’ suggestions will be put forward in the new year.

Dandelion is a creative programme, focusing on sustainability whilst demonstrating the power of collective action and to rediscover our connection with the food we eat and the joy of sharing what we grow and cook with good music. This may be a source of support and inspiration for some of Riverside’s projects.

f) Parking


The Initial steering group meeting for the Riverside School Streets project will be on Tuesday 30th November. Sue Dumbleton and Joan Murphy will be representing Riverside Community Council – other participants include people from the school and local businesses.

The purpose of the group is to inform and support the development of a School Streets project around Riverside Primary School, and related work. It will initially run from now until the end of March 2022.

It will meet three times during that time and be chaired by Susan McDougall, Transport Planning Officer at Stirling Council, with Living Streets providing note-taking and meeting planning support.


g) Riverside Gateway


A meeting was held on the 23rd November.

• Topological Survey will be undertaken – this will lead to more detailed plans for consultations

• Initial plans depict issues and rough suggestions.

• Consultation will be in January over a few days – details to be shared closer to the time.

• Funding will be the next stage of the project – Stirling Council will facilitate the project if funding is secured.

• Consensus with the sub-group to have a controlled crossing, if found to be feasible.

• Very impressed with the attentiveness and enthusiasm of the architects.

g) Summer Jubilee Celebrations

Riverside Community Council is proposing a Jubilee Celebration on the 2 nd - 5th June. Thursday: Older People afternoon tea – potential school engagement

Friday – Rowing Club Event

Saturday – 12pm-4pm Family Fun Day, including Bake Off, Crafts, Visiting Services, Active Travel Saturday – 6pm – 10pm Music Event

Sunday – 10am – Litter Pick – Tea and Cake

David Sherman has:

Approached the Riverside Lawn Bowling about hosting the afternoon tea. Volunteers needed. Approached the Riverside Rowing Club regarding hosting the event – tide dependent.

Fiona Dyet will offer defibrillator training Lawn Bowling may offer bowling lessons

Abbey Road Market is interested in supporting the event regarding beverages and catering. Looking for crafters who may like to hire a stall for the family event.

Investigating funding opportunities closer to the time when specific funding becomes available. Three fundraising opportunities – Defibs, RN and RCC

David Sherman is planning to organise specific meetings in January to plan this event.

7) Local Groups


Riverside Naturally A year end report was offered to Riverside Community Council outlining the work of the local charity.

It’s Your Neighbourhood “Outstanding Award” based on Community Participation, Environmental Responsibility and Gardening Achievements. Emily McLaughlin gave thanks to Riverside Community Council on behalf of Riverside Naturally, emphasising the hope for continued transparency and engagement throughout Riverside.

27th November at 9.30am – Maintenance Session, 10.30am – Tea break and a chat.

TreeLink – A year end report was offered to Riverside Community Council outlining the work in Riverside undertaken by the Stirling based charity.

18th December 10am -1.30pm – Join Treelink at this session in Old harbour Woods to make wooden


objects, large and small.

Lawn Bowling – Friday night bar open. They are hoping for more regular events.

8) A.O.B


Waverley Park – Riverside Community Council will approach Stirling Council regarding lowering the kerb at the accessible entrance, replacing the missing and broken pieces of equipment and later next year looking into adding paths and accessible play equipment.

Curry and Quiz Night – Riverside Community Council are planning to hold a curry and quiz night in the Green Lounge 12 or 19th February 2022 (TBC). It will Costing £100 to hire, including the bar being staffed. It will be a ticketed event.

Graffiti – Bob Dale has investigated the possibility of using Mia the graffiti artist to enhance Lovers Walk and Mia is very keen to be engage with this project. If we propose an idea/theme and the artist would create a relative design. Mia has a contact with Network Rail regarding permission to paint on their property.

Fiona Berrow raised the point that painting the tunnel would encourage unsafe behaviour on the road. As a target of Riverside Community Council is to encourage Active Travel a priority should be given to the pedestrian spaces.

Initially costing; Including tunnel £5k, just the pedestrian walkway £2.5k. It was agreed that funding could be sought for this project.

Faded Road Markings on Sutherland Avenue – Emily McLaughlin will follow this up with Stirling Council

9) Date of Next Meeting


26th January 2022 – Venue TBD

All previous minutes, policies and consultation comments can be found on our website and available on request.

Previous minutes and further information about Riverside Community Council can be found on our website.