September 2023 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format

Riverside Community Council Public Meeting Minutes
Riverside Bowling Club
Date: 27th September 2023
Members Present In Attendance Apologies
Joan Murphy Lorna Smith Parvin Morrissey
Fiona Dyet Andrew Fraser Bob Dale
Ashleigh Phillip Chara Parraco Carol Robertson
Fiona Berrow Cllr Gill Di Alderdice
Jude Treliving 6 residents
PCs Hunter and Gray
Minutes Actions
1. Welcome
Joan Murphy welcomed everyone to Riverside Bowling Club.
Lorna Smith introduced as new Associate RCC member for
2. Declarations of Interest
No Declaration of Interest was recorded.
3. Approval of Previous Minutes
Minutes for August adopted. Fiona Berrow proposed; Ashleigh
Phillip seconded.
4. Matters Arising from previous minutes not to be
addressed within the meeting
Travel and Sustainable Transport/Parking: There has been no
update from Cllr Gibson regarding the zebra crossings or safety
for bus passengers
5. Reports
a. Chair
Venue: There has been considerable hassle in securing a place
for this September meeting and the October meeting, as
Riverside Primary School (RPS) is unavailable for those dates
and Stirling Council doesn’t pay for non-council buildings.
Thanks to Cllr Nunn for her help with booking issues. It was
asked whether the RPS Polling Station room could be made
into a ‘bookable space’ as meeting in the main school hall
often isn’t ideal.
Noticeboard: The greenery around the Lovers’ Walk
Noticeboard has been confirmed: a Holly Tree. Second set of
keys no longer need to be cut.
Website: Thanks for Pat Morrissey for his work on slimming
down and simplifying the RCC website
- confirm meeting
space for October
- inquire re the
RPS Polling
Station room
- Parvin to collect
tree, and confirm
whether one or
two trees will be
( Suggestion to
collect and add a different photograph of Riverside per month,
or perhaps a recipe.
b. Secretary:
Abbey Road: The entrance to the passageway from Abbey
Road into Cooperage Quay has been closed, with work to
secure the gable wall attached to the newsagent starting in the
next week.
Abbey Road Market: Request to develop the space into an
area for small businesses or light industry. Planning
Application is available on Stirling Council’s Planning
website, reference number 23/00474/FUL. Questions as to
construction hours, operation hours and noise in a residential
area all raised.
Engine Shed: The Engine Shed has been closed since
COVID, but was open for recent Doors Open Day. There do
not seem to be plans to open it to the public more broadly
Winter Watch: Grit bins will be provided locally, as will grit,
for the coming winter.
Abbey Road Chargers: The EV chargers on Abbey Road are
to be operational within the next 3 weeks.
Police Report: There was no Police report this meeting, but
with PCs Hunter and Gray present, there was a long
discussion about anti-social behaviour and what residents
should do when they see it happening. They suggested trying
the ‘Contact Us’ on the Police Scotland website
( instead
of calling 101 for non-urgent issues.
c. Treasurer
Income: No income was received this month. We have not
yet received our administration grant (for 2023-24).
Expenditure: We used notice boards funds to buy black ink
(£20.52), colour ink (£21.00) and paper and hooks (£9.75) to
enable us to print community council information, posters etc.
and display them on our new and existing notice boards.
Upcoming expenses: There is £398.71 remaining of our
notice boards funding which will be used to purchase plants to
screen the back of the new notice board and materials for
Ask community
for photos
6. Sub-Groups
a. Active Travel:
NCN: Changes proposed by Council at the Cambuskenneth
bridge to allow non-standard bikes to cross.
Fix My Street App: For reporting potholes, parking issues,
graffiti to Stirling Council. Streamlines reporting issues, while
making it easier to include photos.
Cycle Share: Application to Cycling UK’s ‘Shared Cycles Fund’
for funding to purchase one or more cycles of various kinds.
Potential for applying for a cargo bike, and perhaps also storage.
b. Environment: Old Harbour Woods application submitted for
Community Pride funding to purchase tools.
c. Defibrillators: RCC has been given two defibrillators which
need new pads and batteries. They could be offered to other
local clubs or groups.
d. Advent Windows: There are only 10 dates for the coming
Advent currently unfilled.
e. Parking: There has been no progress regarding
Parking/Green space, despite emails to the Stirling
Councillors and Stephen Bly. Email from Michaela Jackson
did not clarify any progress. Lorna Smith suggested that in
further correspondence with Stirling Council the primary
emphasis should be on safety for residents. PC Gray asked
regarding traffic calming measures. Question as to whether a
combined effort between Causewayhead, Riverside and
Cambuskenneth Community Councils might have more luck.
- Fiona Dyet to ask
Stephen Bly to ask
other CCs if they
would use them
- contact
Causewayhead and
- restarting the
Parking Sub-
7. Local Groups
a. Riverside Naturally: Plans to lower the bee bed at the
Community Orchard given tentative green light by Stirling
Council. Have had successful volunteer sessions, including
the planting of a Scots Pine and Aspen. Orchard Day has been
postponed until 4th November, with more details to follow.
b. Fair Trade Ceilidh: Saturday, 18th November in Bridge of
Allan Parish Church. More info and tickets at: or on Riverside
c. Craft Session: Sunday 1st October, 2-5pm at the Lawn
Bowling Club. All welcome.
8. OAB
Question as to how changes at Polmaise will impact those without
cars looking to recycle larger items.
To be considered
9. Next meeting: Wednesday, 25th October. Venue TBC.