December 2023 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format

12th December 2023 at 7:30 pm
Thornhill Community Hall

1. Present and Apologies
Present: Elaine Blanchard (EB) Secretary, Alison Newlands (AN) Minute Taker, Cllr Elaine Watterson (EW), Sheena Stewart (SS), Al Rawlinson (AR) Chair, Rowena Coulthard (RC), Sam Campbell (SC), Veronica Bachelor (VB), Campbell Millar (CM), Gary Thompson (GT),
Apologies: Moira Russell (MR), Hector Muir (HM), Gabriela Ingle (GI),
2. Approval of minutes of meeting on the 7th November 2023 Minutes approved, with one amendment to the attendance record.
Approved by RC
Seconded by EB
4. Reports – External
c. Stirling County Councillor
TBCC congratulated EW on her appointment of Lord Provost, which is Stirling Council’s civic leader and will represent the council and local communities at events throughout the year.
EW advised that Stirling Council are currently looking at budgets for 2024/25 and significant
savings will be required due to a large deficit and difficult decisions need to be made around funding for critical services. Stirling Council is awaiting the outcome of the Scottish Government budget, which will determine the amount of money awarded to local authorities. A round of public drop-in events for Stirling Council’s Big Conversation with
residents and communities have proved positive, giving the communities a voice.
EW advised the Strathard Community Council are arranging meetings with Community Councils and Councillors to discuss the budget issues for rural communities. The meetings will decide on priorities for the next year, acknowledging priorities will not fit all communities. TBCC has previously agreed to support Strathard Community Council.
CM asked how TBCC can influence the budget process with Stirling Council. EW responded that the best way would be to engage directly with local councillors.
3. Matters Arising
Thornhill Primary School
RC contacted the Headteacher at Thornhill Primary School requesting the safer routes to school plan. The response was that this would be looked in to and will respond to the Community Council as soon as possible. In addition, the Headteacher will engage with the Community Council when reviewing the safer routes to school plan.
4. Reports – External
a. Transport Scotland – Traffic Alleviation at Safari Park
No update at present.
b. Police Scotland
The Police Scotland latest report has been received and circulated; details listed below.
Road Safety
On 15/11/23 a one vehicle, non-injury RTC occurred on the A873 near Blairdrummond where a vehicle ended up in a field. On 19/11/23 a one vehicle, non- injury RTC occurred on the A873 near to Blairdrummond where a vehicle ended up in a field. On the 22/11/23 an RTC occurred on the Kirk Lane whereby a cyclist was struck by a vehicle causing serious injuries. The driver was traced at the scene and will be the subject of a report to the fiscal for dangerous driving. The Kirk Lane was closed for about 7 hrs to allow for investigation. On
07/12/23 a one vehicle, non-injury RTC occurred on the A873 near to Blairdrummond. Police were not required to attend.
On the 22/11/23 a vehicle was stolen from a business in the Thornhill area. The vehicle has since been recovered. Enquiry is ongoing. There has been an increase in trailer and quad bike thefts in the surrounding areas. Any suspicious persons or vehicles or any damage found to security systems / CCTV should be reported to Police. Owners should take precautions to secure property and have a note of any serial numbers.
The TBCC entered a discussion Police Scotland attendance at meetings and agreed to follow up requesting attendance at one meeting per quarter.
5. Reports – Internal
a. Chair
Nothing to report.
b. Secretary
Nothing to report.
c. Treasurer
GT updated the meeting with the current financial information.
Treasurer’s Report: £861.23 in the bank account to date.
d. Planning
AR Report circulated prior to meeting.
AR advised of one update to planning for Thornhill.
e. Thornhill Community Trust/ Futures Group
EB advised that a meeting with the Futures Group was held on the 11th December. The meeting reviewed the feedback from the Gathering on the 26th November where over 100 comments and feedback was received. The next meeting will be held at the beginning of the New Year with the aim of producing a draft to be circulated to all Community Council then submitted to Stirling Council.
Once the draft has been submitted the aim is for a sub-committee to be formed to move the actions points in the draft forward.
f. Blair Drummond Community Hall
EB advised that the TBCC meeting should be held alternatively in Blair Drummond and Thornhill. EB to find out if the Blair Drummond Community Hall is able to host hybrid meetings.
g. North Common Trust
EB advised that the next North Common Trust meeting will be held in February 2024.
6. Community Council Business
a. Meeting Dates for 2024/Sharing hall use.
The TBCC agreed the following meeting dates for 2024, start time all 7:30 unless stated otherwise.
Venue will be confirmed once hybrid meeting availability at Blair Drummond Community Hall has
been confirmed.
23rd January 2024
5th March 2024
23rd April 2024– AGM & Meeting
4th June 2024
20th August 2024
1st October 2024
12th November 2024
10th December 2024
b. Community Council Partnership with local CC’s on funding cuts.
EB advised the meeting that Strathard Community Council have requested a representative from TBCC attend their next meeting. TBCC agreed to hold off attending the meeting until the Scottish Government budget has been released which will outline the funding each local authority will receive. This will then allow Stirling Council to set their budget and priorities for 2024/25
Proposed – EB
Seconded – HM
c. Dunsire and Partners’ development in Thornhill
No update at present. AR advised that Stirling Council should be notified of the change of contact details for the above planning development after the departure of Andy Grieg from the TBCC.
d. Slow Down sign/flashing light on A873 after B8031 (near Coldoch Road) towards Stirling.
No update.
e. Doig Street Water Pressure
No update. EB to ask Cllr Gene Maxwell to escalate issue with Scottish water.
f. Traffic/Speeding in Thornhill
EB advised that Heather Aitchison is meeting with Cllr Evelyn Tweed regarding the issue and will report back to the TBCC.
CM added that the community feedback collected by Alyn Smith should be escalated back to Stirling Council. All agreed.
7. Residents Forum
Lion and the Unicorn
GT advised that an email has been received from Stirling Council Licensing Committee regarding a major variation to the premises. RC agreed to talk to the owner Fiona Stevenson to discuss the proposed changes.
8. AOB
Nothing to report.
9. Date, time, and venue of next meeting
23rd January 2024 at 7:30pm – Thornhill Community Hall
Action Points Member Responsible
Contact Andrew Bushell, Police Scotland to ask for attendance at one meeting per quarter. EB
Investigate if Blair Drummond Community
Hall is able to host hybrid meetings.
Cllr Gene Maxwell to escalate issue with
Scottish water
Update Stirling Council with contact details for Dunsire and Partners
Community feedback collected by Alyn Smith on the speeding issue in Thornhill should be escalated back to Stirling
Contact The Lion and the Unicorn to discuss proposed changes. RC

Meeting closed 21:05