September 2023 Minutes

Download or view in pdf format

26th September 2023 at 7:30 pm
Thornhill Community Hall
1. Present and Apologies
Present: Elaine Blanchard (EB) Secretary, Alison Newlands (AN) Minute Taker, Cllr Gene
Maxwell (GM), Moira Russell (MR), Sheena Stewart (SS), Al Rawlinson (AL) Chair, Joyce Firth
Apologies: Hector Muir (HM), Andy Greig (AG), Gary Thompson (GT), Rowena Coulthard
2. Approval of minutes of meeting on the 22nd August 2023
Minutes approved, no objections or comments.
Approved by EB
Seconded by MR
3. Matters Arising
No matters arising, all covered in agenda.
4. Reports – External
a. Transport Scotland – Traffic Alleviation at Safari Park
No update on this issue at present.
b. Police Scotland
The Police Scotland latest report has been received and details listed below.
Road Safety
On 02/09/23 two vehicles were involved in a collision on A84 with the junction of B8075 Kirk
Lane. As a result, the road was closed for several hours. During this period PC’s King and
Deans carried out speed checks in the Thornhill area. One driver was issued with a
conditional offer of fixed penalty, one driver reported to the Procurator Fiscal and four
drivers warned.
This area will continue to be monitored. Police have been made aware of traffic problems at
the Main Street with the junction of Kippen Road, Thornhill. This has been passed Stirling
Overnight on 21st into 22nd September 2023 a motorbike was stolen from a property in
Thornhill. The motorbike was recovered a short distance away. Enquiries are ongoing in
relation to this.
Community Engagement and Reassurance
On 28/08/23 police received reports of people possibly hare coursing in the Blair
Drummond area. Please continue to report any sightings of people/dogs in the area hare
coursing to police.
c. Stirling County Councillor
GM advised that Stirling Council are currently looking at budgets for 2024/25 and significant
savings will be required.
Plans for a new primary school in Callendar have been designed and are ready to be
submitted to the planning department.
Planning has approved a new housing development, Durieshill located between Stirling
Services and Plean. This development will have three thousand new homes, a mix of
tenures with private housing, affordable housing, and private rented sector housing. The
site will also have a primary and secondary school and community organisations and
Rural Living
GM advised that he is actively and collectively supporting the area with issues around safety
particularly school children and providing a better understanding of rural living.
World Cycling Championships
There was a discussion on funding for the event and JF asked about any community payback
GM advised that he was not aware of any community payback plans, will pass this on the
Stirling Council.
5. Reports – Internal
a. Chair
AR - Nothing to report.
b. Secretary
Nothing to report.
c. Treasurer
EB updated the meeting with the current financial information.
Treasurer’s Report: £225.36 in the bank account, still awaiting admin grant being released.
GM to chase with Stephen Bly
d. Planning
AR Report circulated prior to meeting.
AR read out new planning applications received at Stirling Council for Thornhill.
GM advised that the New National Planning Framework was published in February 2024 and
has introduced stricter controls relating to flooding and the ability to build properties in
flood areas. This will affect Aberfoyle with a 15 mile stretch already sterilised due to
e. Thornhill Community Trust/ Futures Group
JF advised that the meeting scheduled for 21st September had been cancelled due to
unforeseen circumstances and has been rescheduled for 26th November 2023. The aim to
complete a final draft by January 2024 will now not be possible.
GM asked about the submission of the local placement plan and if a different plan needs to
go to the National Park and Stirling Council.
JF responded that Thornhill is out with a National Park and consultation is only required by
Stirling Council.
The Community Council agreed to promote the rescheduled meeting on social media.
The meeting entered a discussion on the Light Up Thornhill Events and agreed more panning
was required.
f. Blair Drummond Community Hall
Nothing to report.
6. Community Council Business
a. Dunsire and Partners’ development in Thornhill
AR updated the meeting on the development application and advised that a decision has
still not been reached, no significant update at present.
b. Slow Down sign/flashing light on A873 after B8031 (near Coldoch Road) towards
EB advised that HM has spoken to Gabriela Ingle on the work conducted previously and
advised any signage and actions promised have not progressed.
Leave on agenda until resolved.
c. Sommers Lane
GM advised that query on new signage had been submitted to Stirling Council, no response
as yet.
d. Aberfoyle Flooding
As per agreement at TBCC meeting on 22nd Augiust 2023 a letter to Strathard Community
Council has been sent offering support from TBCC.
e. Speeding in Thornhill
EB advised that new signs have been purchased highlight speed restriction in the village. It
is planned that fake police signs and bin stickers will be purchased for the village.
f. Doig Street Water Pressure
MR advised that the water pressure has been particularly bad for a prolonged period of time
in Doig Street.
GM has contacted Scottish Water, no response as yet.
g. Thornhill Primary School Fencing
EB advised that residents are complaining about the fencing around the children’s play park.
Stirling Council play maintenance team are planning a visit to the area to assess the
situation and arrange repairs.
AR asked if Stirling Council carries out risk assessments on children’s play areas.
GM responded that there are legal requirements for play spaces at schools, will check about
play areas.
h. Red Squirrel sign on Coldoch Road
EB advised on the above issue and GM advised that the request needs to be sent to Stephen
Bly at Stirling Council.
i. Signing up to Scottish Forum
EB advised that there is a Scottish Forum of Community Councils. It is hope that the forum
will provide a way to connect Community Councils across Scotland and share information
about the work they do. They hope that the Forum will be a national umbrella body for
Community Councils in Scotland with a mission to support communities and to provide
them with the resources they may need to succeed.
No objections TBCC agreed to sign up to the Scottish Forum.
j. Repairs to pavement Back Yetts
No update to report.
k. Letter to Stirling Council re road markings
No update to report.
7. Residents Forum
Nothing further to report.
8. AOB
Bins on Thornhill to Callendar Road.
SS advised that residents have been leaving bins out on the road to Callendar from
Thornhill, causing an obstruction .
GM agreed to follow this up.
9. Date, time, and venue of next meeting
7th November 2023 at 7:30pm
Action Points Member Responsible
Funding for World Cycling Championships
– Community Payback Plans
Admin Grant for TBCC GM
Local Placement Plan meeting 26/11/23 –
promote on social media
Update on requested signage for Sommers
Risk assessments for children’s play areas GM
Red Squirrel sign on Coldoch Road EB
Sign up to Scottish Forum of Community
Bins left out on Thornhill to Callendar
Meeting closed 21:05