Making a Subject Access Request
Data Protection laws give you the right to request to see personal data that the Council holds about you. This is known as the right of "subject access". To make a Subject Access Request, we need to know:
- your name and date of birth
- the type of personal data are you requesting. Are you looking for personal data held in relation to Social Work, Housing, Education, Council Tax or a different council service?
We may need to ask for further information before processing your request.
We may need to confirm your identity before disclosing any personal data to you.
If you are making a request for personal data relating to someone else, we may need to confirm that you are able to act on their behalf. For example:
- you might have Power of Attorney that enables you to act for that person
- you may be a parent with parental rights who wants personal data relating to your child aged under 12
- you might be acting on behalf of a friend or member of the family, and that person has signed a mandate form allowing you to act for them
Please note that children over the age of 12 are usually able to make a request for writing using their own right of access. We may ask you to provide a mandate form signed by them before we can disclose their personal data to you.