Council Tax appeals and disputes

Council Tax banding

All properties in Scotland are given a Council Tax band by the The Assessor for Central Scotland. Stirling Council has no responsibility for deciding these bands. How much Council Tax you pay depends on the band your home has been given.

Appealing against the band

You can appeal to the Assessor against your Band, but only within six months of becoming liable for the Council Tax. You can write to them at:

The Assessor for Central Scotland
Hillside House
Stirling FK8 2NA

Your Council Tax bill

We calculate your Council Tax bill based on the band allocated to your property. We assume you'll remain liable to pay Council Tax through to the next 31 March. We also assume you'll continue to be entitled to any Council Tax discount or exemption for that period.


If you have an exemption which runs out during the year, we'll send you a new bill at that time. Let us know right away if your circumstances change so we can amend your bill. If you don't tell us about changes in your circumstances that would result in your Council Tax increasing, you may be liable for a fine.

Appealing against the amount of Council Tax

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong, or you disagree with our decision to hold you liable for the bill, you can appeal in writing to:

Revenues and Benefits Manager
Stirling Council
Teith House
Kerse Road
Stirling FK7 7QA