Discounts for people on a low income
The Council Tax reduction scheme helps people on a low income pay their Council Tax bill. The scheme does not apply to any water or waste water charges.
You can apply for Council Tax reduction if you are responsible for paying Council Tax for your home, and:
- you have less than £16,000 in savings, unless you or your partner receive Guaranteed Pension Credit
- you have a low income or are receiving Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credits or Universal Credit
- you are a student with special circumstances
- you are a pensioner or unemployed
You can claim even if you are not getting any other benefits, or if you have not made any National Insurance contributions.
You will not be able to claim Council Tax reduction if you, or your partner:
- are excluded from receiving public funds due to your status in the United Kingdom
- have not yet moved into your house or are a full time student in higher education – but you may be able to apply for an exemption or a discount