Responsive repairs

Responsive repairs are best reported using our Housing Repair Online form.

Appointments can be made:

Monday and Friday:
Morning - 8am-12pm or
Afternoon - between 12pm-4pm

Emergency Repair - this is where the repair issue may cause serious danger to health and safety and to the structure of the building.  For example;  a burst pipe that cannot be contained and water is penetrating the building. The service aims to attend to these repairs as soon as possible within 24 hours.  Further examples and guidance can be found within our Right to Repair and Housing Repairs Policy.

Urgent Repair – this is where the repair requires attention to prevent further issues or deterioration to the building and does not pose an undue risk to the tenant.  For example; a central heating radiator not working within the property.  This would be offered as an appointment within 36 hours.

Routine Repair by appointment – this is a routine repair issue that requires attention outwith our next scheduled maintenance programme. For example; window and door handle requiring adjustment.  The Service aims to offer this type of repair appointment within 7 working days.

Routine Repairs within an appointment – this an external repair to your property where we do not require access. For example, a path repair. The aim is to repair these within 20 working days.

Shared Responsibility repairs – this is a non-appointed repair that is not solely the Council's responsibility and communication with other parties (eg; owners) is required for shared agreement to carry out the repair. For example; request for door entry systems.  The Service aims to complete these repairs within 20 days of reaching an agreement with owners.

Complex Repairs – this is a repair that requires multiple trades or external contractors.  The Council is responsible for ensuring the programme of works and will communicate with those tenants affected. For example; Rotwork and Damp repairs.  The Service aim is to commence these works within 90 days.

You can change your appointment at any time if your appointment date is no longer suitable by calling the Repairs Team.

Elective Repairs

Where you have asked and attained permission for installation or fitting we will make clear if we will accept responsibility for the maintenance in the permission letter. All tenant installations and fittings where no prior permission has been obtained from Housing Services will continue to be maintained by the tenant.

There are some installations and fittings we will do for you at a cost. We will arrange to do the work once 80% of the quotation you have obtained from us is prepaid.  Tenant to pay and elective repairs

To receive your no-obligation quotation please contact us.

Altering or improving your home

As a tenant you have the right to make changes to your home and garden, however, it is a condition of your Tenancy Agreement that you must ask for written permission from your landlord, Stirling Council if you plan to carry out any alterations or improvements.  Examples of the type of work which would need permission for:

What type of permission do I need?

You must ask for permission from Stirling Council and depending on the type of work you plan to carry out, you may also need permission from other Council Services e.g. Planning Services (or depending on where you live, the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park Authority), Building Control, Roads and Transport, or other agencies, for example, Scottish Gas, Scottish Power or Hydro Electric. 

How do I get permission?

You can apply for permission by either emailing or writing to the Housing Services, Allan Water House, Kerse Road, Stirling, FK7 7SG.  Please include any plans or drawings which show details of the work you wish to do. If you would like to discuss any issues you can do so by calling the Service Improvement Officer on 01786 237732.

Will I have to pay for permission?

No this is free of charge. Other Services for example Building Control may charge a fee if you require their permission for the work.

Can I use the application form to apply for other types of permission I might need?

No. This form can only be used to apply for permission from Housing Services. You must also contact the other Services/Agencies directly to ask for their permission. You may be required to complete a separate form for each service or agency.

What happens after I apply for permission?

We may need to visit your home to carry out an inspection and then they will write to tell you if you have been given permission to do the work.  Sometimes an inspection will not be necessary.  In both cases, you will receive a letter with our decision within 28 days.

When will I know if I have been given permission to start the work?

Once we have all the information from you we will write to you within 28 days to tell you if you have permission to carry out the work. If permission is refused, we will write to tell you why. If you have not received a reply within 28 days then you can assume that permission has been granted. We would always advise checking with us before starting work if you have not yet received your letter.

Can I appeal if permission is refused?

Yes, you can. You can appeal through the procedure. Your complaint will be investigated and we will let you know the outcome.

Am I entitled to compensation for any work that I have carried out?

You may be entitled to compensation for the improvement when your tenancy ends. You will only be considered for compensation if you have received our prior written permission and can provide all payment receipts for the work. 

Last updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 5:09 PM